Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have three chihuahua mixes, 2 girls and 1 boy. Sam is a 3-5 yr old neutered chihuahua-pom that is very well behaved, but whenever I try to feed him at work(a dog kennel), after he's done he pees in the bowl. I have had him for a year and a half now and he has always done it even before I adopted him. He never did it at home up until about half an hour before I'm writing this post. He finished dinner and instead of using the bowl, he turned around and used a painting easel. So I am just wonder; what is causing this behavioral issue, and how can I fix it?

I should also add for some possible background information: I adopted him from a house that had 4 other male dogs, all neutered, but they all shared one food bowl. My dogs all have their own bowls and I spread them out because Sam and Nala will bully Bambi out of her food if they are too close.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For a mitigation quick fix maybe raise the bowl up a couple of inches? He might just pee all over the place at that point but it's worth a try... Or start feeding him right after he pees to avoid the problem entirely?

Or try for a positive reinforcement solution by interrupting his meal to take him out, then when he ultimately pees outside give him a couple bits of some hot dog or chicken breast and then the rest of his kibble?

It's a strange problem I've never faced but those are the ideas I've got.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a mitigation quick fix maybe raise the bowl up a couple of inches? He might just pee all over the place at that point but it's worth a try... Or start feeding him right after he pees to avoid the problem entirely?

Or try for a positive reinforcement solution by interrupting his meal to take him out, then when he ultimately pees outside give him a couple bits of some hot dog or chicken breast and then the rest of his kibble?

It's a strange problem I've never faced but those are the ideas I've got.
these are some good ideas thank you! will try them tonight at dinner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts