Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. i have a 7 month old german shorthaired pointer/ Brittany mix. He is completely house trained and has been since about 3 months old. Earlier this evening he was asleep on the couch with me. He was curled up and all of a sudden i heard the faintest noise that sounded like his stomach was gurgling something awful. He raised his head and looked towards his stomach, then jumped off the couch. I though he needed to go out but when I looked down he had completely emptied his bladder right there on the couch. What I heard was him peeing!! He walked to the door sleepily with his head hanging, he knew he messed up. I didn't punish him at all because honestly I was completely dumbfounded.

Has anyone had a dog do this before?? Seems so strange.. I haven't noticed any signs of a UTI or anything. No bleeding, no frequent peeing, no straining...... Do y'all think this was just a freak accident or should I take him to the vet?

·
Registered
363 Posts
It could be either an accident or something more. My dog did do this once when he was a puppy. I don't remember how old he was but it was under a year and he peed right on the couch while sleeping. Another time when I thought for sure he was finally house trained he got up sleepily from the couch and slowly walked to the door and then peed right in front of it while half asleep.

I would monitor to make sure you don't see any other symptoms that he could be ill but it's probably a freak thing, he is still a pup.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Toby does this sometimes.....and he's no puppy! I don't know if it's because he's sleeping (like sleepwalking, but with peeing?) or what, but since it doesn't happen very often I don't worry. Keep an eye on him, and if it happens again a vet visit is in order. But it's probably just an accident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts