Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: this post is not about a dog getting sprayed by a skunk.

I live in San Diego near a canyon where a lot of skunks live. In the summer months especially, my dog (10yr old border terrier) can smell them in the distance and several times a day starts crying and growling, upset by the smell.

Has anyone else experienced this or do you have suggestions for how to mask/distract from the smell? Other solutions? I don't want her crying all summer again! I'm in a condo building so can't do much outside of my particular unit.

Any time I've tried googling this, I only get results about what to do if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
Are you sure it's the smell that is upsetting her? That seems....strange. Is it just outside she does this, or in your condo, too?

I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot you can do about skunks doing their stinky thing out in the wild. You can try counter conditioning your dog to the smell by giving her treats when the smell of skunk is apparent and praising her for ignoring it, but timing is going to be an issue since she can likely smell the stench before you, and skunks are rather unpredictable with their stinky secretions.

As for masking it...no. Anything that can mask skunk stink is likely even more aggressive and unpleasant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts