Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im new to the forum, but I really liked to have joined it. My question is: What's the basic opinion on those dog training shows, like Cesar Millan's? Is the way they do it a realistic way to work with your dog?
Thanks for taking your time to help me

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
So Im new to the forum, but I really liked to have joined it. My question is: What's the basic opinion on those dog training shows, like Cesar Millan's? Is the way they do it a realistic way to work with your dog?
Thanks for taking your time to help me
Victoria Stilwell's is, in general, not bad

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Welcome to DF!

Some dog trainers that you can find on TV use decent methods, but many don't. Use the search box in the upper right corner to conduct a search for threads that discuss Cesar Millan. For the most part, members here aren't big fans of his. Also, read the warning at the beginning/end of his shows carefully: it says not to attempt this sort of training with your dog.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The shows featuring dog trainers are for entertainment purposes, not to learn training methods. They edit a lot of stuff out.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There are a few not so good things about dog training tv shows.

1. The dogs on the shows aren't "typical" pet dogs. Usually you have to actively seek out a "project dog" (like I did) to get one that bad, have horrible luck and just get a dog with shaky temperament and genetics, or do just about everything wrong in dog raising to turn your dog that bad. Therefore, using the methods on many of those shows would be like using prisoner control methods to teach kindergarteners.

2. The shows are edited. You will be frustrated if you expect your dog to walk perfectly on a leash in less than an hour with just a few "tssts" and tugs of the leash.

3. Different methods work for different dogs. If you used Cesar's methods on Brody, you WILL get bitten. I've seen it happen by someone supposedly trained by Cesar himself. If you use Victoria's methods on Charlotte, you're going to get frustrated because she'll tune you out unless you're very animated and engaging to her.

Your best bet is to go out and watch classes your local trainers offer and figure out what YOU like best and do what works for your dog. A good trainer will adapt to your dogs and know what will work for them, all while respecting the limits of what you find acceptable in dog training. The same trainer who is calm and relaxed around Brody is animated and enthusiastic with Charlotte.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts