Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recipe for a dog treat for a dog with a type of IBS? My 7-yr.old bichon was recently diagnosed with excessive gas in his intestines, a chronic condition the vet says. She took an Xray to reach this conclusion. (Before this diagnosis, he had frequent bouts of intestinal rumblings followed by a period of time where he acted as if he was in pain, uncomfortable, miserable, etc.) He is on Hills I/D prescription canned food, and is doing well on it. I found that if don't give him any table scraps or other type of dog food, he is OK. He re-lapsed when I mixed the Hills I/D with another dog food. So I only feed him the I/D now, nothing else. But I really miss being able to give him a dog treat.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try making treats from the canned I/D stuff. If it is a loaf then take it out of the can, slice and bake until crispy. If it is goopy, spread on parchment paper and bake until crispy. This is a completely different food from the kibble so do offer a tiny bit same as any other new food.

Or even grind up the kibble, mix with egg and bake?

He probably only gets 200-300 calories a day? Substitute up to 10% of his regular kibbles for treats, that is only 20-30 calories a day. If you stick to that and feed a bit less at dinnertime you can try other types of treats like bits of cooked chicken and well cooked veggies.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have you tried giving him small (SMALL) pieces of boiled chicken? My girl has a problem with gas too, not as severe as your boy, but she can't eat any kind of grains so I have to be very careful with training treats ... which we use a lot of. She can eat cheese too (thank goodness) so I go between boiled chicken breasts, cheese, and a couple of other things that works (like freeze dried chicken liver).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts