Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a friends freezer died, we acquired and ground 200lbs of meat! (venison, grass fed beef, wild caught salmon) When a local survivalist was rotating stock, we acquired 6, 5 gal buckets of rolled oats. My chickens lay waaay more eggs than we can eat!
Have been trying to come up with a way to put this all together to make treats for my dogs?
Was thinking single serving meatloaves, but if I mix it all together raw, will the oats cook enough? How much of each would I have to add so it would make a loaf instead of crumbles or mush?
Instead of Hate to cook, my name should be Don't know how to cook! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I would dehydrate the meat, personally, and not use the oats at all. I think you would have to prepare the oats first, and then add them to the meat to create meatloaves.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When I was a kid my mom made meat loaf with rolled oats, egg and ground beef, worked just fine. The recipe called for some water or milk to moisten it. A cup of oats takes 3 cups of water to cook to make breakfast oatmeal but the meat contains a lot of moisture so likely need 1/3 that amount if any.

Try double grinding a couple pounds of your meat, add a couple eggs and a cup of oats whirled in a food processor into flour. Roll into meatballs and bake until cooked through, maybe 15-20 minutes at 350*F. Might make a smoother meatball that stays together better if the meat and oats are ground up fine. If they crumble or seem dry add some water next time. Each meat you have may need more or less water or more or less oat or more or less egg too. Keep track of what you do each time and change to see what happens.

Dogs will not care one bit if your efforts come out crumbly or mushy, they will love it!

What a haul! I'd rather use it as dog food but I go through all of 20 pounds of raw meat/bone/organ a month.

If you find large slabs of really lean meat turn it into jerky. Defrost until you can put a finger print on the meat's surface but it seems totally frozen, takes about an hour for a 2 pound steak. Slice as thin as possible with a sharp long knife like a chef's knife and dry either in oven on racks or in a dehydrator. I put my oven at 150*F and leave the door cracked open by putting a towel in so it cannot close all the way and put it in before I go to bed and it is done by morning do that after the first batch so you can have fun seeing how it works. Dry until meat isn't squishy and has changed color throughout. It is possible to overdry and it gets crispy so watch out but again, dogs won't care. Always freeze homecooked stuff like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replys!
The meat is already ground, mixed and frozen. When I had a few buckets of rice, I would cook up a weekly meal for them and all was well! The oats just make a slimy mess that is hard to pass out! And I've added a new puppy that I don't think has the cast iron tummies the big dogs have! Going to try to make the meat loaves! I usually pass out "treats'' out of guilt when I'm leaving for the day or can't take them for their walk, so I need the treats to be hearty and easy to dispense, without squabbles!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would think that meatloaves would be really crumbly to use as treats?

Here is a list of recipes that are fairly similar to what I do: http://www.dragonbear.com/rec-livs.html

I do some combination of protein (usually put through the food processor to make it smooth), flour, egg, all mixed to form a fairly stiff dough (more like cookie dough than brownie batter), spread on a cookie sheet (make sure to use parchment paper or something non-stick), back at 350deg until done. You can also bake longer at a lower temp to dehydrate more.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Right, make the oats into flour and mix into a heavy paste and bake.

You can make your own flour from grain. I whirled Sassy's raw special super low phosphorus rice in a coffee grinder to mix with super low phosphorus egg white and some sort of flavoring for her special treats. They came out really neat, with a texture as though I had put leavening in them like a thin corn bread that wasn't crumbly. The rice wasn't even that finely ground, about like cornmeal. Rolled oats would be much easier to grind up than raw rice.

Just make up a small batch at a time and take notes. Bake your creations until firm all the way through and they won't be goo and even if they are the dogs would be fine with it. My dogs generally get to clean up bowls and spoons and pans too, makes me feel better about all the mess I just made. Adding oats to the meat will sop up drippings in the pan if any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts