Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am having some issues with my dogs. If I can explain and see how you could possibly help me.

I got a miniature bull terrier and a cross foxy-staffie 7 years ago. They are both females. At the time they were our babies and were allowed on couches and beds etc. I did puppy training and Roxy always had small dog syndrome and would try attack other dogs, she could also be nippy with people entering our house at times. I did not walk them much unfortunately as I worked long days and was unable to fit it in as much as I should have. My partner doesn’t enjoyed walking, and pretty much never walked them.

I then had two children and this made it all even harder. At some point I did stop working and started walking them more often. But by this time, they did not walk very well. Both pulled on the leash and were quite nervous. Roxy especially would not stop trying to attack other dogs and people. I hired one dog trainer who told me it was almost a hopeless case and another who made some headway with them and I kept up walking them as often as I could but not on a daily basis. I would have to walk them separately as walking them together was a nightmare.

We moved house and decided to get a big dog for protection. At this time I was not working and was adamant that I would spend time with this dog and get it trained early on. Unfortunately then we had a tragedy occur which rocked our lives and for a couple of months I did not walk him as much as I should of. It was quite rare. He is a large breed dog and when I tried to then get back into walking him, it seems it is now too late. He is so big and strong he pulls me off my feet and tries to attack other dogs. I am not walking my other two as I feel bad leaving him out.

I am at a loss as what to do. We do not really have the money right now for a dog trainer. I was hoping for some advice and to try dog training at a later stage. I am very overwhelmed in my life with two kids, a big house, trying to open my own business and various worries including the dogs!

Not sure how to fit it all in. We have a very big garden, but I know it is not enough if you aren’t walking your dogs? If I could get them walking properly, maybe I could hire a dog walker and alternate me and a dog walker. My husband will help occasionally but he does not enjoy walking (yes I know bad excuse) and so it is usually left to me.

Any advice or suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lisa

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh my... Sounds like a bit too much for you to chew my dear. I'm gonna say using the right tools makes all the difference in having control and feeling confident. I love halters/head collars, especially with strong, broad chested, thick necked breeds that just ignore collars. Most of all it's going to require calm persistence and many repetitions. Don't have a goal in your mind that you have to go anywhere or get certain things accomplished. Start with the door, they should be calm, sitting, you exit first and they calmly follow. Maybe you don't get anywhere the first day at all, just go in and out of the door practicing. Day two, you walk down the driveway. At whatever point you start losing their focus, attention and control, turn around and go back home. Wait a few minutes and try again.
That's how I would take it on anyways, I wish you luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.