Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see anything in any of the posts relating to reducing frustration. I have tried conformation(two years, I am in therapy to reduce anxiety) and now I am in herding. Most likely, I would't do either of these or anything else except that I am in a co-own situation and one of the agreements is that I need to do some performance activity. I am legally committed to something. I have worked with my dog everyday for two years on something. either conformation, what a failure! We do caveletti, also a joke, and now I am trying herding. I don't see anything coming back there either. I love my dog. He is very well behaved and a joy but I don't know how to shape myself to be successful in any of these activities. By the way, I have spent quite a lot on professional classes.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is there anything that defines what the "training" has to be?

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
The key to success is, as counter intuitive as it sounds, to stop caring and settle in and expect it to be years before you see rewards. That isn't so true in something like conformation, but agility, obedience, herding, whatever? You have to train the behaviors, yeah, but there's a lot of mental maturation that has to happen and a lot of, well, socialization to the environment/learning to cope with it.

Treat everything between now and the dog being 5 as practice/ground work, kick back and enjoy the ride. It's not a short one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply,
Our training experience has to be in a performance activity. Conformation, agility, obedience,rally,herding are acceptable. Bond, my corgi is finished GCH by the breeder so that should be the easiest. Technically, I probably could get away with showing him in conformation once a year but that wouldn't make for the best of relations with my breeder/co-owner.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I just think that is ridiculous, requiring that you put your dog in some sort of activity. I'm all for fun training classes, or evening walks, or weekend hikes, but actually *requiring* someone to do that with a dog that they purchased? No way.

Can you get into rally possibly? It's low key/low stress, we loved it when we were training. Now with my human kids being busier and busier, the dogs are mostly walking buddies.

Perhaps you can contact your breeder and explain that the activities aren't right for you and your dog, and seek permission to just enjoy your dog as a pet?

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
What about flyball? Most dogs seem to absolutely love it, and it's pretty low stress training wise, I'd think.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I think a co-owner situation would be incredibly frustrating just on its own. Maybe explain to your breeder that this situation is exacerbating your anxiety, and see if you can "break up" and then just do your thing and enjoy your dog?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
If you want to just get the requirement done and over with, rally is pretty low-key and doable for most people in a shorter amount of time than something like agility or herding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. It is very helpful. I am going to look into rally as I have watched this and it looks interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts