Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin and his kids have a 6 month old miniature poodle pup. The dog is an energetic, bright, adorable puppy. Most of the training seems to have fallen to the 13 year old girl. She's doing pretty well. The pup can sit, lie down and roll over. His recall is marginal, though.

I'm looking for any recommendations for a training book that a very smart 13 year old could use. She LOVES this pup and I think she's willing to put in a good bit of time training him. But... she's still a young teenager. So her attention span is, um, shorter than an adult's.

(I tried using the search function, but I came up with all sorts of strange results.)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
There are some very basic step by step clicker training books on Karen Pryor's site (www.clickertraingin.com).

Another easty to follow book is "The Compete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog training" by Pamela Dennison (penguin books).

The basic book from Karen's site got me going and you are talking about a correction based trainer with good success that had to learn some new stuff. A 13 year old won't have nearly the trouble with this that I had (learning stuff). You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, but old people are really limited! :p

Oh yeah.. and the Book or DVD "Really Reliable Recall" is GREAT. I read it and Atka has one!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I gave 'Dog Training for Dummies' to my foster's new owners. I was probably 10 when I read that and a similar book all about dog training. It stuck with me and it's very easy to follow. Just walk into Borders. Most books in there are made to order for ADD america.

·
Banned
221 Posts
My favorite training books are "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell and "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. Both are great "first" training books.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Thank you, everyone. Those are some great suggestions.
Rowdy
I have heard for quite a while that kids are not kids any more, they are now if memory serves me called young adults. I actually got gypped, as when I finally got to what could be termed adult status I was too old to be called a young adult. I was already middle-aged. I do think that any of the above books mentioned would be great for a 13 yr old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts