Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my classmate reffered me to this site, and from the looks of it, its a really good site!

Well I needed help from any dog trainers on this site. I have a project/survay to do, and i would like to ask you dog trainers some questions. It would me so much to me if you could please answer. There are 20 questions that I needed to ask, some are optional so if you don't wish to answer those you don't have to.

I've one more week to get this done, so it looks like i've procrastinated a little:eek: Thank you so much any of you dog trainers that answer the questions. It doesn't matter if the answers are short but the longer the better! (No worries, there isn't any personal questions, only dog training-related questions)

Here are the questions:

1) What motivated you to become a dog trainer?

2)What field of dog training do you work in? (e.g. Police, Kennel, Agility, etc)

3) How did you increase your knowlegde on dogs?

4) What certifications do you have? (optional)

5) What is your typical salary?

6) How long have you worked as a dog trainer? (optional)

7) What advantages do you find in being a dog trainer?

8) What disadvantages do you find in being a trainer?

9) Who has been your role model as a good dog trainer?

10) What do you find is the hardest part of being a dog trainer?

11) Have any of the dogs you've trained earn special titles? (optional)

12) Can you recall a mistake you've made? What did you learn from it?

13) What qualities do you think a dog trainer must have? Why?

14) What dog training method do you find most successful?

15) What do you think was a good tool/resource to help you become a dog trainer? (optional)

16) In your opinion is it easier to train small or big dogs? (optional)

17) Is there a specific breed of dog that you are hesitant about training? Why?

18) What is the most common dog-related problem you come across?

19) What is a typical question that you are commonly asked by dog owners?

20) Could you relate a best/humorous expirience you've had? (optional)

Thank you guys so much! I know its a little time consuming, but i appreciate every second you guys put into it! Oh and pardon me for not introducing myself, i will make sure to make a post on the "member into's"

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
-Mark

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
1) What motivated you to become a dog trainer? The love of dogs

2)What field of dog training do you work in? (e.g. Police, Kennel, Agility, etc) Obedience

3) How did you increase your knowlegde on dogs?Books, seminars, apprenticeships, instructor, 40 years of ownership

4) What certifications do you have? (optional)Certified Professional Dog Trainer, AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator

5) What is your typical salary? None (Retired)

6) How long have you worked as a dog trainer? (optional) 4 decades

7) What advantages do you find in being a dog trainer? Meeting wonderful, caring people and their dogs

8) What disadvantages do you find in being a trainer?None

9) Who has been your role model as a good dog trainer? Many instructors, authors, handlers and the dogs themselves

10) What do you find is the hardest part of being a dog trainer?Owners quitting on their dogs when there was so much more to be gained

11) Have any of the dogs you've trained earn special titles? (optional) Obedience, Rally, Agility, CGC

12) Can you recall a mistake you've made? What did you learn from it?Training is often trial and error..every dog is different and can react differently....you learn from every encounter

13) What qualities do you think a dog trainer must have? Why? Patience, ability to read a dogs reactions, good timing skills, a good 'tool kit' of alternate solutions and good people skills as you train both the owners and their dogs

14) What dog training method do you find most successful? The one best suited to solving the situation....however, the long term day to method must build on the dogs trust and confidence for a lifelong, honest relationship

15) What do you think was a good tool/resource to help you become a dog trainer? (optional)Observation...watching other handlers/dogs, situations/challenges, alternative methods and personal dog ownership of many different breeds and sizes for 40 years

16) In your opinion is it easier to train small or big dogs? (optional)No difference

17) Is there a specific breed of dog that you are hesitant about training? Why? NO

18) What is the most common dog-related problem you come across?Lack of attention

19) What is a typical question that you are commonly asked by dog owners?How to get (and keep) the dogs attention..training can't even start until you have this

20) Could you relate a best/humorous expirience you've had? (optional)A master instructor once told me to use my eyes when giving commands....look up for sit, look down for down. I thought that was a little strange so I researched the relationship of eye contact and dogs. I was stunned to discover that the dog is the only animal on the planet that will look where you look or, follow in the direction that you point. Our closest relatives the wolves and chimpanzees don't have this ability even when raised by humans. Knowing that now helped especially in Agility

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TooneyDogs you have my heart-felt gratitude, i really appreciate that you took the time to answer my questions, now i can do the rest of the project i have left. Too bad that you were the only one that replied, i wished more would have. But thank you SO much.
-mark

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi, im not a trainer, but i do assist my friend who is a professional dog trainer, so i can answer a few questions on my own experience.

Hello everyone, my classmate reffered me to this site, and from the looks of it, its a really good site!

Well I needed help from any dog trainers on this site. I have a project/survay to do, and i would like to ask you dog trainers some questions. It would me so much to me if you could please answer. There are 20 questions that I needed to ask, some are optional so if you don't wish to answer those you don't have to.

I've one more week to get this done, so it looks like i've procrastinated a little:eek: Thank you so much any of you dog trainers that answer the questions. It doesn't matter if the answers are short but the longer the better! (No worries, there isn't any personal questions, only dog training-related questions)

Here are the questions:

1) What motivated you to become a dog trainer? Growing up in a showdog/obedience household, going to shows all the time, helping with working with our dogs, ect.

2)What field of dog training do you work in? (e.g. Police, Kennel, Agility, etc)
I have been helping with obedience, and agility classes for the past 3yrs.

3) How did you increase your knowlegde on dogs? Just watching my friend teach her classes, and reading GOOD books on training.

4) What certifications do you have? (optional) None

5) What is your typical salary? i volunteer my time

6) How long have you worked as a dog trainer? (optional) In a way, all my life, but helping my friend, 3yrs.

7) What advantages do you find in being a dog trainer? I know how to train my own monsters, haha!

8) What disadvantages do you find in being a trainer? None for me, the assistant, lol

9) Who has been your role model as a good dog trainer? My friend of course, she is an amazing trainer, and im not just saying that because of our friendship, i have been around many trainers in my life, some good, some HORRIBLE, but nobody matches her, she is good!!

10) What do you find is the hardest part of being a dog trainer? Training some people how to train their dogs can be a bit of a challenge, but that is what makes it so fun i think. Everyone is different, and you have to treat each person a bit differently while teaching the same thing...if that made sense (its late, and i had a full day of DOGS, im dog tired... haha)

11) Have any of the dogs you've trained earn special titles? (optional)
Many have, Lots of CGC passing dogs, dogs that have gone on to do therapy work, obedience titles, agility titles, ect.

12) Can you recall a mistake you've made? What did you learn from it? Not being the trainer, i can't recall anything major.

13) What qualities do you think a dog trainer must have? Why? Dog training is an ever changing world, keeping up on the latest techniques on training is a must. Lots of backround, my friend started training classes when she was 12yrs old (she is 29 now) and did a TON of showing in obedience, conformation, agility (has many many titles in each) and also taught therapy dogs, and many years of Search And Rescue, and started a few programs in Alaska and Washington State. She is mostly a consultant now, and has faded out working her own dogs because of time needed for family.

14) What dog training method do you find most successful? Each dog is a little different, and you have to modify your training to suit the dogs need as well as their owners.

15) What do you think was a good tool/resource to help you become a dog trainer? (optional)

16) In your opinion is it easier to train small or big dogs? (optional) They both have thier own special ways about them, lol. One thing i have noticed over the last several years is that quite a few little dogs have initial issues with the "down" command as one example.

17) Is there a specific breed of dog that you are hesitant about training? Why? Not really, i enjoy helping out with all different breeds.

18) What is the most common dog-related problem you come across? Undersocialized dogs.

19) What is a typical question that you are commonly asked by dog owners? Just today i was asked about mouthing issues, dropping objects, and furniture chewing. Usually i get a lot of training collar questions, and jumping issues.

20) Could you relate a best/humorous expirience you've had? (optional) Oh yes, i could...oh yes...

Thank you guys so much! I know its a little time consuming, but i appreciate every second you guys put into it! Oh and pardon me for not introducing myself, i will make sure to make a post on the "member into's"

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
-Mark

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'm not a trainer, but am looking at possibly getting my feet wet to see if it's something I want to move towards. Questions are answered based on the training I'm doing with my own dog plus working with my trainer and her dogs.

1) What motivated you to become a dog trainer? My own dog...

2)What field of dog training do you work in? (e.g. Police, Kennel, Agility, etc)Obedience and Rally-O

3) How did you increase your knowlegde on dogs? Personal Trainer

4) What certifications do you have? (optional)None yet.

5) What is your typical salary? None, looking to start volunteering some time to gain more experience and find out all the requirements I need to gain to do it on my own.

6) How long have you worked as a dog trainer? (optional)Just beginning, 4 months.

7) What advantages do you find in being a dog trainer? Knowing that no 2 dogs are alike, and gaining valuable experience.

8) What disadvantages do you find in being a trainer? None

9) Who has been your role model as a good dog trainer? My trainer.

10) What do you find is the hardest part of being a dog trainer? Working with aggression issues.

11) Have any of the dogs you've trained earn special titles? (optional)Not yet, working towards Rally-O Novice.

12) Can you recall a mistake you've made? What did you learn from it? Incorrect corrections. If you are not 100% sure on how to correct a dog for a particular bad behaviour, it's best to not correct until you learn the correct way. Bad corrections can throw a dog off, and create more issues.

13) What qualities do you think a dog trainer must have? Why? Definitely patience. Not all dogs learn very fast, and some are just bull-headed.

14) What dog training method do you find most successful? Positive Reinforcement using toys or treats, and lots of praise.

15) What do you think was a good tool/resource to help you become a dog trainer? (optional) Several DVD's and a couple books. There's many good ones out there.

16) In your opinion is it easier to train small or big dogs? (optional) Both the same, just depends on the individual dog.

17) Is there a specific breed of dog that you are hesitant about training? Why? Dogs with an extreme aggression problem. No specific breed.

18) What is the most common dog-related problem you come across? Dogs that haven't had enough socialization.

19) What is a typical question that you are commonly asked by dog owners? Haven't had any questions yet because I'm just starting.

20) Could you relate a best/humorous expirience you've had? (optional) When my own dog listens to my trainer more than she does me because she has better food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts