Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a decent base knowledge as a dog trainer, but looking to have more expansive knowledge- learn about agility, nose work, dog sports, and assistance dog training. Does anyone have experience with in-person courses? I have already read multiple books and taken an online course on basic training and aggression, as well as worked with behavioural issues and basic training for quite a few dogs, so a basics course won't do much for me. I have seen good things about Starmark and National K-9, leaning more towards starmark because I would not think you can learn everything you need in 6 weeks, which is the national K-9 timeline. I also don't have the liberty to take 6 months so starmark seems to be the sweet spot. Anyone have experience with this or other dog training courses? I already did a google search and saw reviews but couldn't find anything extensive.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I already have a decent base knowledge as a dog trainer, but looking to have more expansive knowledge- learn about agility, nose work, dog sports, and assistance dog training.

In my opinion, the best way to gain knowledge in these areas is to immerse yourself into these areas.

Classroom learning is definitely augmentative, but nothing can replace real-world hands-on participation and experience.

As for the businesses you mentioned, they are just that -- businesses. If having 'credentials' is your main goal, or even part of your goal, you might want to consider CPDT certification. I believe they're much more respected and recognized above the others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts