Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a two and a half year old Terri-Poo about a week ago:), so of course I bought him a new toy(i didn't get many because he came with his old toys) a tire/rope thing, and well he won't play with it and I'm not sure how to teach him it is his with out reversing the fact that he was trained only to play with his own things?

All Ideas Appreciated
thank you
bethygirl

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Firstly, he might not be interested in the toy.
I'm not sure what you mean by reversing the fact that he was trained only to play with his toys, but you can leave it where you keep the rest of his toys and when he's playing with one of those, take the new toy and see if he becomes interested in it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is it very different from the toys he came with? I know my dogs prefer a certain type of toy. For instance, they won't touch any type of rubber squeakie toy. So it's true that he may never be interested in playing with it.

However, if you want to try to train him, make sure you reward him for any interest he shows in it. If you're doing clicker training with him, click and treat for even glancing at the toy. You can also do this verbally by just saying "yes!" and then treating him. If he sniffs it, even more praise and more treats. And so on and so forth until he's playing with it (which then pretty much becomes a reward in itself). Sounds like a long process but most dogs pick up what's going on pretty quickly and what gets them the treat. (Of course, you could also try smearing peanut butter on it and see what happens too. :D )

Have fun with your new baby!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thanks, the peanut butter sounds a bit to messy but i could borrow my sisters kong stuffing and and use that to stick treats on it :)if it does not work i will try the other idea,thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts