Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a question about toy protection/reactivity. My two younger dogs are an 8 year old lab mix and a 5 year old lab. The 8 year old has anxiety and has struggled with reactivity issues and food aggression in the past. We did a pretty good job (I think) training her not to be food reactive any more and that has not been an issue for 3-4 years. The 5 year old would snap back at the other dog when she would growl at him over food when he was a puppy, but I have not seen that behavior in ages. Anyway, he LOVES toys and I recently got him :)doh:) 5 more. He and the other dog were supposed to share but that didn't happen. The 8 year old dog actually does not really like toys and I have very rarely seen her interested in them, even before we got the 5 year old. I actually got all these new toys to try to pique her interest, seeing how much the younger dog likes them, but she continues to be completely indifferent to them. The last few days I have noticed when the younger dog has the toys in his mouth and she comes near him he will growl at her or snap at her. I know she is not trying to take the toy or doing anything to him. I was wondering what tips others could offer to help nip this behavior in the bud. Since she is not trying to get the toy away from him and it is not necessarily sharing that is the issue, I am not really sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm curious too. One of my dog is the same way with more 'valuable' toys like bones or antlers. For now, I just put them away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, yea my dogs definitely are like that unfortunately. I stick with plush toys now I can't even try edible toys any more thats actually what I think originally triggered my 8 year old dogs food aggression I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts