Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed over the past few weeks that other dogs, whether at the dog park or at our house greet our boy Stevie in an extra friendly way.

First there is the usual sniffing of backsides and his er um "stuff" (he is nuetered), but then the other dog usually begins licking Stevie's "stuff".

Stevie doesn't seem to mind it but I have never seen dogs licking each other's "stuff" before and am curious to know if anyone else has seen that before or know what it means.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like they are rather friendly with each other.

When we had Max still him and Miller would "clean" each other all the time. I don't think its anything to worry over. Lots of animals groom their companions. It is a social thing to them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lola our terrier greets other dogs in the most friendliest manner. She will whine and smile, tilt head, and if the other dog responds positively... they start sniffing. :p

Ilya, our husky, well.... I'll just say sometimes he's misunderstood by other dogs. He greets other dogs differently and then tends to get a bit standoffish. I generally have to get him to sit if other dogs approach him. However, if the dog is another husky, he's quick to start prancing and playing with them.

Now if it is a particular Great Dane at the park, he seems to always put me between him and the dane. LOL He's so intimidated by the dane ... Maybe they are sending each other doggy signals I don't understand.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Canine greetings are a mystery to most of us, but dogs seem confused - sometimes upset - when people hug or give high-fives.

I once tickled my daughter while we were sitting on the couch watching a movie and she squealed. Our big lab (MY dog, BTW,) who seemed to be asleep in the corner, was across the room in two bounds with his nose two inches from mine - letting me know that making his personal kid squeal was not acceptable.

That same dog would walk up to a new dog at the dog park and smack him across the muzzle with his paw. If the dog didn't run away, he had a new friend. If he smacked him back, he had a new best friend.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I haven't got a clue what it means either....

But now that I think of it, I can only remember ever seeing male dogs getting their "stuff" licked before. Not to sound gross, but maybe it has something to do with pee residue or something? After all, they eat each other's puke. Gotta love em.... :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts