Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber is aggressive with other dogs. I really need help with it. <- simply stated. She does not lunge at other dogs that are like walking on the other side of the street, in fact, she usually ignores them. But my neighborhood has issues with leashing dogs (grr) and lots of people let their dogs wander the parks and yards unsupervised.

When another dog approaches Amber, though, it is a matter if the other owner can get their dog away. She does attack, and it's at the point that I'm scared to walk her. I would also love to foster, but she is even more protective of the house.

HELP???

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I think DA is one of those issues that can be contained but never fully trained out.

Even if the worlds best trainer were to tell me they had transformed my DA pooch i'd just count the days untill he started his negative behaviour again.
By containing i mean keeping the dog on leash at all times,never letting the dog be put in a position of being able to attack and like Curb said,a muzzle is a good start.

Good luck but i'd doubt fostering is an option unless you are willing to seperate 2 dogs 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. We have a muzzle, but she really hates it, and I want her walks to be enjoyable. We'll use it for now, until the economy shapes up and we can get a way to avoid fights.
I would call animal control, except a.) they wouldn't come (if the dog has a collar they ask you to try and find its owner, and b.) the dogs are running at/after us, so it's sort of in the moment.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Desensitize her to the muzzle by letting her eat treats out of it. Teach her that putting on the muzzle brings good thing.

I would also consider carrying a can of Direct Stop citronella spray. It would probably not work for an aggressive dog intending on fighting yours. But it might be useful for a friendly dog who wanted to "say hi." (and it won't hurt the other dog)

You might also pick up the book "Click to Calm." I just finished it and it seems to be a great resource for anyone whose dog is aggressive or reactive. It teaches you how to help desensitize your dog to other dogs. It will take time but if you can manage the behavior, it will be worth it.

By the way, I couldn't help but chuckle as I read your post. Not because of the situation (which is serious) but because my name is Amber, too. :D

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Thanks. We have a muzzle, but she really hates it, and I want her walks to be enjoyable.
Yes, she'll need to be conditioned to the muzzle in a pleasurable manner. click on the video "Conditioning an Emotional Response" here: http://abrionline.org/videos.php

You'll need to do the same with the muzzle.

I would call animal control, except a.) they wouldn't come (if the dog has a collar they ask you to try and find its owner...
You don't see a collar do you? ;) And as far as you know these dogs are being aggressive towards you and your dog, right? ;)

You just need to give AC a reason to do a drive by. You don't need to provide them a reason for you to do it yourself. That's not your job, it's theirs.

You should also be able to anonymously complain about the loose dogs. You just need addresses, and they'll mail letters saying there was an anonymous complaint. That's better than doing nothing.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
its not hopeless.

but its gonna take a lot of work.

i have a dog aggressive dog.

first things first you need to find a way to exercise Amber without having her encounter other dogs. the more chances she gets to act aggressively the harder it will be to work the issue out.

any interaction should be strictly controlled and with extremely stable, calm dogs. your behaviorist should help you with this.

as for suggestions on exercise, if your yard is fenced, keep her in it and use toys like flirtpoles and other interactive games to take care of her energy. if your yard isnt fenced, ask if you can bring her to someone's house with a fence, look for tennis courts in parks that are fenced in and take her there at times when there are no dogs, walk her in the rain...be creative. you want to minimize the aggressive displays.

no off leash period unless in a fully contained area.

work in the home on focus commands, leave it and stay. build up to where these cues are rock solid with distractions.

contact a behaviorist.

what EXACTLY does she do when behaving aggressively?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what EXACTLY does she do when behaving aggressively?
We do have a fenced yard, and she gets alot of excericise by playing with me out there.

When she attacks, first she'll growl, and if the other dog reacts and growls back (which most do; I haven't seen many submissive dogs in our neighborhood), she'll go for the throat.

My neighbor got a chocolate lab puppy about a year and a half ago, and we walked them across the street from each other, then next to each other (with Amber wearing a muzzle*), and now, after about 1 year of socializing them, she lets him in "her" yard.
*If he approached her while she was wearing the muzzle she would try to attack. I know, she probably felt like she couldn't protect herself..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts