Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've had Dogs all of my life. I have a little male something or other that I've had for little over a year named Jake. He is behaving like I've never seen a Dog behave. He is probably about half Corgi mixed with what looks like some Springer Spaniel and maybe some Pekingese or another short nosed Asian breed. He is about 2-3 years old. I got him from a friend that found him wondering, he was either lost or we think he may of even been abandoned.

He's a little cuddler, he loves to be held. He hates to be left alone. When I say left alone I mean no person in the house, we do have another dog that is always around so he's not totally alone. He doesn't have what I would call separation anxiety. But he hates it when he is left and lets you know it by throwing hissing fits. He will often find something of the last person to leave and chew on it a little bit. If my mom is the last person to leave he will pull a pillow off of the sofa, chew a corner or two off and pull out a little bit of stuffing. Or he might find a shoe of the last person to leave and chew on it a little bit. My Dad has a foam therapeutic pillow that is in the chair he sits in. If my Dad is the last to leave Jake will often get the pillow, rip open one corner and rip of a few pieces of the foam pillow inside. But not totally ruin the pillow just mess it up some, as if he's trying to make a point. And that's the way he does on everything he messes with. He will also get in the trash. Not like he's trying to find food but like he's just trying to make a mess. He will take the paper and like in the trash, shred it to pieces and spread it all around. He knows what he is doing is wrong, but we can't break him of it. And after more than a year with us and him being used to our schedules and that we will come home he still throws these hissy fits. I'm at a loss at what to do?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
All of those things carry a very strong personal scent. He chooses them in an attempt to be close(r) to whoever left and he does that because he lacks the confidence to be alone. Have you done any confidence building exercises with him...teaching him that being alone is OK....safe/secure...nothing to be worried about?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of those things carry a very strong personal scent. He chooses them in an attempt to be close(r) to whoever left and he does that because he lacks the confidence to be alone. Have you done any confidence building exercises with him...teaching him that being alone is OK....safe/secure...nothing to be worried about?
Not specifically. That's the thing though. It doesn't seem like he is scared to be alone. He has very confident personality and is confident in himself, more so than other dogs we've had and that I've seen. He just doesn't like to be alone, which is understandable. He often chooses to sleep away from everyone instead of in someones room.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I would confine him to one puppy-proofed room so he couldn't get into things. But leave him with a few toys to chew on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A dog can appear to be very confident and be very insecure, don't you remember that one kid in school who used to skip class, get into fights but his home life was a wreck? lol Acting tough because you're around isn't the same thing as being confident. Dogs don't go out of their way to upset you, they don't think "oh he left me I'll show them..." Chewing tends to be a way of copeing, similar to a baby sucking his thumb. Things such as bedding, clothing (socks, underwear), etc smell closely of their humans. He is trying to soothe himself, he's not trying to "get back at you". Start doing something to build his independance, dog sports are a great way to build your bond, burn energy and build confidence!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts