Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking and thinking about my possible next tattoo being dog lover related :) And wanted to see yours!

NOTE: Don't worry! I won't steal your ideas <3 My tat will probably be a generic paw print and heart, like this!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have "Numquam plus amavi" tattooed in Old English-type font on my left forearm. It translates to "never have I loved more" in Latin, and is placed on my left forearm specifically because that's where my GSD/Great Dane's head was when I had him pts.

I'm planning on getting his pawprint tattooed on my left ribs - I have the print at home, I'll post it to this thread when I am at my home computer.

My other idea is to get a graphic novel style image of a girl with long dark hair and a large, black shepherd-y looking dog walking through a forest towards a light in an opening in the trees. While I don't believe in an afterlife, if there is one, I dearly hope that Loki and I get to go hiking again when I get there :)

Would love to see everyone else's dog tattoos!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I thought you meant tattoos on dogs. :p

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I don't have it yet, but when my dog dies (hopefully a long time from now), I want to get her paw print tattooed on my foot or my leg.
Do you have the print already? If not, after getting Loki's, I have a bit of experience with this! I found out that paw prints were a lot harder to get than I thought they'd be :)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Do you have the print already? If not, after getting Loki's, I have a bit of experience with this! I found out that paw prints were a lot harder to get than I thought they'd be
No I don't have it yet. I'm thinking the vet might take a print when the time comes?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have been trying to come up with a butterfly tattoo I like and trying to figure out a way to incorporate Mia's ears/face into it. I haven't quite figured it out though.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
No I don't have it yet. I'm thinking the vet might take a print when the time comes?
Yeah, some vets do that, but in my experience, it's not the same as the dog stepping on the ground. I tried to print Loki by holding something against his paw, and it just didn't work. Eventually what I ended up doing was painting his front paws black with non-toxic paint and a brush, and then releasing him so he'd hopefully walk across the large sheets of paper I had placed on the pavement (did this in my driveway). It definitely took some time, and unfortunately, I was doing this after his ulnar ostectomy, so it was not easy.

While I'm *very* happy that I did get Loki's prints, the fact that I got them three days before I had him pts is hard to think about. My biggest recommendation is to get prints now, while she's healthy and happy and you'll have good memories about the experience :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
This is mine.. I wanted something more unique than paw prints, and I can add to it easily as I get more dogs in the future. These are my dogs' collars.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
This is the pawprint I ended up getting from Loki. I want it tattooed *exactly* how it looks (minus the black splotch on the bottom left where he stepped on the best print I got!). I don't super like when prints are tattooed really solid with defined outlines, or when they're resized smaller. I want Loki's print absolutely exactly how it came off of his foot. It's about 4.5" wide and 5.5" long or so.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
This is the pawprint I ended up getting from Loki. I want it tattooed *exactly* how it looks (minus the black splotch on the bottom left where he stepped on the best print I got!). I don't super like when prints are tattooed really solid with defined outlines, or when they're resized smaller. I want Loki's print absolutely exactly how it came off of his foot. It's about 4.5" wide and 5.5" long or so.

That looks like the print I took of Bella's paw years ago - just for that reason. I plan on having it tattooed over my heart. I want to dress it up somehow, though.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
That looks like the print I took of Bella's paw years ago - just for that reason. I plan on having it tattooed over my heart. I want to dress it up somehow, though.
I thought about putting Loki's over my heart, but it's fairly large. Which is why I figured left rib cage, since the human heart is slightly left of center.

My plan is to get prints from all of my future dogs and to get them in a row down my ribs and then my left leg. Then I'll switch to the right side when my left is full, which will probably happen sort of fast, since Dane prints will be large :) When I run out of room on both sides... Well, I'll deal with that issue when it arises.

What kind of "dressing up" are you thinking of doing for Bella's pawprint? I'm planning on keeping Loki's just as it is. I was watching one of those tattooing shows the other day, Ink Master I think it was, and one of the artist's had his brother's ashes actually put into the ink and then tattooed into a memorial piece. I won't lie, I'm thinking of doing that with my dogs, but I'm not sure I'd be able to find an artist who would be on board.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Maybe you're right about being too big for that area - I want to keep it actual size, and that's kinda large. Hmmm...dang. Was thinking of coloring it in like a tie-dye pattern/colors. We're both little hippies :)

I've heard about the ashes in the ink thing. I dunno about that, personally. Has anyone had problems with infection I wonder? Would be interesting to know if many artists would do that.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Maybe you're right about being too big for that area - I want to keep it actual size, and that's kinda large. Hmmm...dang. Was thinking of coloring it in like a tie-dye pattern/colors. We're both little hippies :)

I've heard about the ashes in the ink thing. I dunno about that, personally. Has anyone had problems with infection I wonder? Would be interesting to know if many artists would do that.
Ohhh, I like the color idea! That would be really pretty and different.

The ashes in the ink idea *really* kind of shocked me at first. But then the more I thought about it, the more I was like "I kinda think maybe I want to do it". I like the idea of always having part of him with me.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yeah, some vets do that, but in my experience, it's not the same as the dog stepping on the ground. I tried to print Loki by holding something against his paw, and it just didn't work. Eventually what I ended up doing was painting his front paws black with non-toxic paint and a brush, and then releasing him so he'd hopefully walk across the large sheets of paper I had placed on the pavement (did this in my driveway). It definitely took some time, and unfortunately, I was doing this after his ulnar ostectomy, so it was not easy.

While I'm *very* happy that I did get Loki's prints, the fact that I got them three days before I had him pts is hard to think about. My biggest recommendation is to get prints now, while she's healthy and happy and you'll have good memories about the experience
Thanks for the advice! What kind of non-toxic paint did you use? Like just something you can find at a hardware store?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Thanks for the advice! What kind of non-toxic paint did you use? Like just something you can find at a hardware store?
I just went to Meijer and found non-toxic craft paint. I figure if a kid can ingest it and not die, it's probably pretty okay to put on my dog's foot for 30 seconds and then wash off.

Definitely a two person job, too. A dog holder and a paw painter/holder until the paint is even and the paper is in place. Loki wasn't super thrilled with the process, but we got through it with lots of treats :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts