Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my dog Bentley is a six-month-old 50 lb lab mix. He loves to chew on beef tendons. I usually watch him while he chews on them but I don to the bathroom and when I came back noticed that he had already finished the 10 that I gave him so I'm assuming he swallowed about a four inch piece. He's acting fine. I will keep monitoring him but my question is how worried should I be as I'm already mad at myself for letting it happen when I am normally so careful to take away his chews when they get small enough to swallow. Tgis time he just finished it very very quickly. The tendon was a very thin one, as it was to the point of being translucent.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
By now you would know if this was a problem.
I highly recommend against processed products from the pet store such as thos big bones, tendons, bully sticks, ESPECIALLY rawhide anything (rawhide is indigestible) etc,.

Instead provide raw meaty bones to chew. If you freeze them first they last longer. Non weight bearing bones are best (knuckle bones).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By now you would know if this was a problem.
I highly recommend against processed products from the pet store such as thos big bones, tendons, bully sticks, ESPECIALLY rawhide anything (rawhide is indigestible) etc,.

Instead provide raw meaty bones to chew. If you freeze them first they last longer. Non weight bearing bones are best (knuckle bones).
Thanks for the reply. Yes, he did end up passing it no problem. I could barely discern what it was when it came out the other end. I know everything a dog chews on carries a risk. Tendons seem to work great for him because they're the only thing I've found so far that last a decent amount of time, at least when they are larger & thicker than that one,lol. He's picky in that he won't chew on fake bones. I appreciate hour help and will look into a knuckle.

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
Glad it resolved! My older dog will gnaw everything very thoroughly until it's a tiny nub, whereas my younger dog once tried to hork down four inches of bully stick in one go (it came right back up, he's much smaller than your Bentley). He's better about it now, but for a while any edible chew was attached to a clamp at one end, and I still don't let him have longer lasting edible chews (like bully sticks) unsupervised. I've heard the bully stick holders work well too in preventing dogs from swallowing large chunks, and they have an advantage over clamps in that it doesn't matter if your dog chews on them. Hope this is your last scare for a while!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad it resolved! My older dog will gnaw everything very thoroughly until it's a tiny nub, whereas my younger dog once tried to hork down four inches of bully stick in one go (it came right back up, he's much smaller than your Bentley). He's better about it now, but for a while any edible chew was attached to a clamp at one end, and I still don't let him have longer lasting edible chews (like bully sticks) unsupervised. I've heard the bully stick holders work well too in preventing dogs from swallowing large chunks, and they have an advantage over clamps in that it doesn't matter if your dog chews on them. Hope this is your last scare for a while!
I've tried the bully stick holder from benebone I think it was but he was able to pull it out using his paws on the sides of the holder for leverage. The one trick I have found that works well is inserting the bully stick or tendon through the small end of a kong toy. It's very hard to get through but this way he has a chew that bounces, rolls and holds the end piece secure. At the time all his kings were in the freezer as I has just refilled them with pumpkin, peanut butter, dried sweet potato combo he loves. Thanks for your help and concern. Now we're on to dealing with keeping him occupied while he has a cone over his head,lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts