Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 8month old rescue puppy is suddenly going to attack the cat. I caught him doing it this afternoon and caught him just as he was about to pounce. I saw his demeanour change, he starting sniffing the air and then staring intently at the cat, then he bowed and went to pounce. I’m petrified now he might harm them (we have two) in fairness though I will say the cat didn’t look particularly spooked and was staring right back. He is a hunting dog mix, but I thought as we got him as a puppy he wouldn’t have the prey drive, pretty naive! No idea how to hand in this, the card are 10 and 11, and the female (not the one he went for) is really tiny so I’m especially worried for her.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The cats may never be safe from the dog. I never leave the dog(s) and cats together unsupervised EVER EVER. This is even with the cats and dogs very friendly to each other.

You have one choice. Separate the dog from the cats.

I actually have an outdoor cat proof cat kennel that I put one cat in days. When I am not home or preoccupied, the dogs are always crated or in outdoor kennels.

·
Registered
192 Posts
As the previous poster said: keep them separated and make sure the pup knows that kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. You caught this early so you might be able to redirect to redirect this.

I would also remove any toys that's squeaky or make a noise as this might also trigger prey drive.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
It's not a popular opinion around here, but I don't believe in keeping dogs and cats in the same houshold unless it's a very small dog or an adult dog that's already proven to be safe around cats. I've seen my mild-mannered dog kill wily stray cats (wandered into the yard) in a snap. Felt bad enough about that, can't imagine if it had been my own cats or cats that someone cared about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts