Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends im at a loss right now. My husband and i rescued a lab a few months ago. He came potty trained already (hes about a year old already) and he was very well potty trained at that. He was not fixed when we got him but about a month ago we got him neutered. The first week he was doing great but the second week he started having accidents inside. At first we figured it had something to do with the neuter but he only pees when me or my husband are around. We can leave him home alone for hours on end and he wont have any accidents inside. We take him out immediately whenever we get home from anywhere so he doesnt ever have a chance to pee out of excitement. Ive noticed that every time he pees its right AFTER he eats. Were just confused because if it had something to do with his neuter or if it was a uti he would be peeing inside wether we are home or not but this only ever happens when we are home. We were just super confident in his potty training so him having accidents inside was a big concern to us. Hes past his 2 week mark from his neuter (its been about 3 and a half weeks now) so i dont know if it could be the hormone changes or what but were just concerned for our boy and want to do whatever we can to help him go down the right path. Please help us.

·
Super Moderator
2,498 Posts
There's always a chance that a sudden change in urination habits has a medical cause, even if it seems behavioral at first, so don't rule out that angle too quickly. If he has any follow-up visits planned to check on his recovery from the neuter, definitely bring it up. If you notice any other changes in behavior - potty related or not - or if you're seeing the inappropriate urination becoming more frequent, that'd definitely grounds for a vet check on its own (you might want to start making a note of when accidents happen to have make it easier to notice if there's worrying changes or trends).

Otherwise, it could be a lot of things, including discomfort from the surgery or hormonal fluctuations as you said. Bring him out for potty breaks more frequently than usual - and always immediately after eating, since that's his current pattern - and go with him so you can immediately give him treats and praise for peeing in an appropriate place. Basically do a bit of potty training refresher. Make sure you've cleaned up the accident sites well with an enzymatic cleaner meant for pet messes, which will make it so even his superior nose can't smell that there's old pee molecules there and think it's a good potty spot because of that. Since he was previously potty trained, you should see pretty quick improvement if this is behavioral. But again, if he keeps having pee accidents even with these precautions or it gets worse, it's time for a vet exam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you should go to the vet and ask him this question. Perhaps the dog has a problem and is trying to tell you about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts