Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old pug who has always been the sweetest, most loving little dog. About one month ago, I noticed that she would start growling viciously when I would go to pick her up (whereas before she would be so excited and happy to be held). Once she would be put down, she would start turning circles round and round as if she was chasing her tail. I took her to the vet. After MANY tests and x-rays, they found nothing. I've noticed this aggressive behavior becoming more frequent, but not so much with strangers. She is friendly and playful towards people she doesn't know. I wondered if this behavior could have anything to do with her getting ready to come into "heat"? This is definitely not the precious, sweet little dog we've been living with since September. Help!!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have a 7 month old pug who has always been the sweetest, most loving little dog. About one month ago, I noticed that she would start growling viciously when I would go to pick her up (whereas before she would be so excited and happy to be held). Once she would be put down, she would start turning circles round and round as if she was chasing her tail. I took her to the vet. After MANY tests and x-rays, they found nothing. I've noticed this aggressive behavior becoming more frequent, but not so much with strangers. She is friendly and playful towards people she doesn't know. I wondered if this behavior could have anything to do with her getting ready to come into "heat"? This is definitely not the precious, sweet little dog we've been living with since September. Help!!!
A dog growling when you pick them up, isn't actually being aggressive...they are telling you in the only way they can, that they don't feel comfortable with it. Dogs go through fear stages, and it may be that it makes her fearful. Stop picking her up unless you really have to. And when you do, bend down/squat, and make sure you are scooping from under her bottom, and keeping her close to you as you stretch up to full height. Don't lean over her and pick her up from under her "arms".

·
Super Moderator
7,418 Posts
Some of what you are describing almost sounds like something neurological to me ( spinning in circles when you put her down), has your vet considered this? I hate to even suggest it, and I sincerely hope its not the case, but I'd be concerned about Pug Dog Encephalitis. It's a neurological disease that is somewhat common in Pugs, and seems to have a genetic component, although the research is still young, and they have not yet developed a test. It typically affects Pugs under the age of three, so I'd definitely talk to your vet about it. Again, REALLY hoping it's not the case, but with a young Pug acting oddly, it's a definite concern.

·
Registered
90 Posts
she would start growling viciously when I would go to pick her up (whereas before she would be so excited and happy to be held). Once she would be put down, she would start turning circles round and round as if she was chasing her tail. I took her to the vet. After MANY tests and x-rays, they found nothing. I've noticed this aggressive behavior becoming more frequent, but not so much with strangers. She is friendly and playful towards people she doesn't know. I wondered if this behavior could have anything to do with her getting ready to come into "heat"? This is definitely not the precious, sweet little dog we've been living with since September. Help!!!
Boy does that sound familar. You could be talking about my westie. Exactly the same. Exactly.

And it got worse. She started biting me. Just out of the blue. Sitting there and she would jump out and viciously bite me. I couldn't touch her at all and mostly just stayed out of her way. She also got to the point that even with other people she was starting to growl.

Finally I did take her in and tested for hypothyroidism, per my request. Test came back on the low side of normal. I started her on medication and it helped some. At least the biting stopped. About a year later she was diagnosed with Addison's disease and the medication for that has really helped alot with most of those symptoms. She is about 80 percent back to be being a normal dog now after treating the Addisons for the last year and tweaking her medication to the best dose for her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I've been googling my 1 year old pugs behaviour and this came up. He is doing the exact same thing (has been since he was 7 months old) and it's getting worse. The vet is stumped and is trying him on epileptic medication. Have you had any success with your pug?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts