Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice a week we get up at 6:30am and feed the dog at 7:30.
The other 5 days we like to get up at 9am. Unfortunately Chloe starts whining at the bedroom door at 7:15. My wife gets up at 8, feeds her, and goes back to bed.
How do we get her to be quiet until 9?

It was worse last year. Someone here suggested feeding her dinner at 8pm rather than 6pm. That got her to start whining at 7:15 rather than 6:15; an improvement, but not good enough. We also started adding green beans to her dinner at the Vet's suggestion.

Seems unrelated to the sun, as it starts the same time now as at mid-winter. Maybe we should cover the clock?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Haha I wish mine let me sleep until 7.15am. I'm up every morning at 5.30am because a 90 lbs dog is on the bed licking my face.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All my dogs have had internal clocks that tell them when to start pestering me for a meal. My last dog ate once a day but took medicine in a small chunk of cheese twice a day for epilepsy. He not only reminded me when it was time to eat but he let me know if I was late with his morning or evening meds.

Unfortunately, dogs don't know Monday from Sunday or Saturday from Wednesday. Their internal clock which is based on prior habits tells them it is time to eat. Is there any way that you can get your dog on a 7-day feeding schedule where she can get her meals at the same time every day? Say 9 a.m. and 8 p.m?

If a single feeding time does not work for your human work/sleep schedule, perhaps investing in an automatic feeder that releases food at timed intervals might help. Most of the dispensers I've seen in person deliver only a small amount of food, like a cat-size meal. Perhaps one of these at Chewy will have larger feed amounts: https://www.chewy.com/s?query=automatic feeder&nav-submit-button=

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
It depends on what is causing your dog to whine. Is it the attention she gets from you getting up, or is it really all about the food? If it's the latter, try feeding her at 9am no matter when you get up.

Everything in the environment is some sort of cue to your dog. How you get up, what you put on, time of day, where you go in the house, etc. A lot of owners who follow the same routine every day teach their dogs to see time as a cue to start behaviors like whining. There's nothing wrong with that. But if it bothers you, don't let time be the determination for anything. For example, change:
"It's 7:15, time to feed the dogs" to "The dogs are calm and quiet, time to feed the dogs."

I am meticulous about this since I did not want my dog to press me for any attention if I wasn't ready for it. So the only cues for him to 'start' in the day are if I say his name and directly ask for his attention. Result is, I can wake up at any time (early as 6a, late as 12p), not a peep. I can wake up, walk through the house, start breakfast, use the bathroom... Dog is snoozing on his bed. I can even go pet him a bit and resume what I'm doing. He goes back to sleep. Because he knows exactly what cue is the one that means 'time to do things'. I'm not saying you need to do this exactly. But it can be done without much effort at all (I literally just ignore my dog when I wake up, have done so ever since he was a puppy). When my partner wakes up, my dog immediately goes to greet him. That's totally fine, because my partner is a cue for that behavior (whereas my presence is not) and my partner enjoys starting his day that way. And just as a disclaimer, my dog gets tons of love and attention from me. He is just crazy and clingy as a default, and I like my quiet time in the morning to get my ducks in a row.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I really think that it depends on the dog though. My 14yo wakes up with my husband, no matter what, whether it's at 6am or 11am, and he's always been that way. My 2yo was never an issue either (she stops bothering me if I ignore her), but the newf... maybe it's because he wasn't housebroken until we got him 5 months ago, or because he's not neutered and just marks instead of emptying his bladder, but he has to pee at 5.30am because he just won't go out after 9pm. The feeding schedule seems to have no impact whatsoever on him, it doesn't matter when he's fed at night, I'm up between 5.30 and 6am (6.30am ONCE). But again... it's harder to ignore a 90lb dog.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking for is realistic (with the rare exception Canyx's dog). If you feed the dog at 8 p.m., by 7:15 a.m. it's been almost 12 hours since she ate. And she probably has to go to the bathroom.

My dogs are up at 5:30 a.m. every day whether it's a work day or not. On weekends we do what you're doing - get up, let the dogs out to potty, feed them, and we all go back to sleep for another couple of hours. It's just one of those sacrifices you make when you have a dog. Once we accepted that it made it easier.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's a cute one to solve, no worries! There are only 2 kinds of dogs. Dogs that are picky and don't care much about food. And dogs that care very much about food. For this second group of dogs their world revolves around food. They will remember how long ago they were fed. That "time" is instinctual (internal). Give or take a 2 hour grace period, usually every 24 hours, and if fed twice a day, then about every twelve hours. Why not feed the dog twice a day, 9:30am and an hour before everyone goes to bed. That way her tummy is usually full. And she'll get one more chance to go potty for the evening after eating the night time meal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts