Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 12 year old Border Collie who up to this point has completely ignored other dogs. Now she snaps at other dogs, and often tries to bite them.

She does not chase other dogs, or even look at them. But if another dog walks up to her and starts to sniff her she will growl for a second or two then lash out. She has been doing this for about 6 months, but she never did it before.

Also, she doesn't do this all the time. Some dogs she will snap at immediately, others she seems to like

Some possible complicating factors:
  • My gf is 8 months pregnant...do dogs know this?
  • The dog seems jealous when my gf gives attention to other dogs
  • Due to my gf's reduced mobility, my doggie has been getting fewer walks, but she still gets out about 3-4 times a week
I would appreciate it if someone could offer me an explanation, and also how I can correct the behavior, both over the long term and the actions I should take when she snaps.

Thank you for reading!

I should also add that she has never snapped at a person. There were some minor nipping issues as a puppy, but those have not been a problem for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Senior dogs often start to resent the intrusions of younger dogs and like us, they have good days and bad days. Obviously, you want to make sure there are no underlying health ailments that make her testy. Cracked teeth and gum disease are frequent culprits especially for seniors.
Keep the introductions brief. After a sniff or two break off the greeting. No need to reprimand for a snap....just calmly step forward and redirect both dogs.
It's very normal for dogs to vie for their owners attention.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
is is possible that her vision has started to deteriorate as well? .....I think dogs are kinda like people in some ways....sometimes as they age they get a little cranky:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I already made a vet appointment to check out a red spot under her arms (dry skin i think). I will have her teeth looked at as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
They can get Dementia just like older people too. My other dog would start growling at my brother in law when he came over like she didn't remember who he was and yet she always adored him before. You dogs hearing might not be great anymore either

1 - 5 of 5 Posts