Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a copy+paste from my "New here" thread, i figured i should post it here instead to get the right people reading it.

Obviously, I'm new to the forum. I wish i would have taken the time to get on this forum sooner, and benefit myself and my dogs better. Anyway, I have a 7 year old Golden retriever/pit bull mix (she may have some Sheppard in her too) named Peaches. She is a terrific dog, and my first dog ever. however i got her when i was only 16, and did not know a whole lot about dogs, so my biggest mistake was never socializing her with other animals as a puppy.

Now she wants to attack any animal that she sees, which is really upsetting to have to keep her locked up and away from other animals all of her life. On the other hand, she is the most affectionate and loving dog! Everyone who meets her is always stand-offish and skepticle at first because of the pitbull in her, but they quickly realize she is just a big baby that loves attention. She is also very well potty trained, house broken, and can sit, shake, lay, speak, stay, and sit pretty on command, which proves she is an intelligent dog.

My other, newly acquired dog is a 13-16 week old Shih-tzu Yorkie mix, her name is Daisy. She is real sweetheart and very energetic fun loving dog. We have only had her a week and have already gotten her used to going potty outside, and sleeping in her crate at night.

So here my dilemma if you did not already figure it out, As of right now i keep both dogs fully separated at all times, but have tried introducing them a few times under strict supervision and restraint, and Peaches will appear to be okay with the situation at first, but as we get them closer, Peaches whimpers and whining quickly turns to jumping and growling aggression.

Now I am trying to figure out the best and most budget friendly way to make my dog Peaches, obey my commands, and not hurt this little dog so they can be friends and co-exist in my home together. I have researched dog trainers and found that they are very expensive (at least for my budget) in order to make my dog the way i want, it would cost me nearly $1,000. I am here to ask those of you whom have first hand experience with these types of situations to coach me in this problem with hopes of good results.

So please, by all means lay it out to me!

thank you very much, and i look forward to being a frequent poster on this wonderful forum!

Ryan Kovacs

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
They may never be friends and the best you may be able to achieve is that Peaches ignore the other dog when you are there to carefully supervise the interactions. At all other times, keep them separated.

Work on a long down with Peaches. This means a down of 30 minutes or longer (you'll have to work up to this). When you have the two dogs out together, permit a quick sniff if (and only if) Peaches accepts this much interaction. Then put both dogs in downs apart from each other. Or put the puppy in a crate or ex-pen if it doesn't know the down yet. This way they can be in the same room with you but the pup is still safe.

Not all dogs are dog friendly. Pits, as well as many other terrier breeds) do have a tendency to be dog aggressive. Yours may very well be one of those dogs and you may have to keep the two dogs separated when not closely supervised for the rest of Peaches' life. This is just part of owning dogs sometimes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ryan,

You may never be able to leave Peaches alone with Daisy. Unfortunately, it was not the best idea to add another dog until you were able to trust Peaches around other dogs. With that being said, my suggestion would be to use a muzzle on Peaches. Introduce the muzzle gradually and in a positive way. Before you even put it on her, feed her out of it a few times. Start to put it on her nose then take it right back off without fastening it....basically baby step it until she is comfortable wearing it, make it as pleasant as possible for her, and take at least a couple of days getting her used to it. The muzzle is far from a solution but it will help you to determine just how aggressive she will be to Daisy, thus allowing you to gauge what training you will need to proceed doing to rehabilitate her.

Sometimes dogs can be a lot more aggressive when on a leash but, when allowed to meet another dog off-leash, are less likely to actually attack. There are a lot of factors at play here that would need to be known in order to know exactly how and where to go about introducing the two (What exactly does she do when in the presence of another dog? Have you allowed her to come in contact with another dog? Was she on leash or off? Can you get her to focus on you when she's in the presence of other dogs? Does she act aggressive towards all other dogs or just certain ones? Etc...). Have you done any obedience work with Peaches? If not, definitely do some before you do all of this so that you are confident she will listen to you. There are plenty of great websites and books out there that will help you train her at a reasonable cost, if not free.

When you do have her used to the muzzle and are ready to start the introduction, You may want to have someone help you walk them together. I would master a couple of weeks of doing this without Peaches going after, or even growling at Daisy before you introduce them inside the home. You also want to wear Peaches out beforehand. The old adage is very true: a tired dog is a happy dog. She will be a lot less likely to aggress if she is too winded to put forth the effort. There is an excellent dog-socialization program called Pack to Basics. Ask all of the local trainers and vets to see if someone nearby offers this. Even if there isn't one close by, it is well worth the drive if you can find it within a couple of hours to where you live. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
1000 dollars? Yikes...were you looking at board and trains?

I think it would be worth your while for a couple of hundred dollars to find a training course related to dog aggression like a "Ruff dog" or "Fiesty Fido" course. You need more help than can be given online. Check the APDT website for trainers in your area and for specialty courses. These courses can give you the tools to work on your own, learn how to time your rewards properly, assess your dog's triggers and body language (which can be subtle) to cut off the aggression at the pass, so to speak.

Some books:
Click to Calm by Emma Parsons
FIGHT by Jean Donaldson

There are lots of good books specifically related to dog dog aggression at Dogwise.com

In the meantime be sure to continue keeping the dogs separated and do realize that they MAY NEVER be allowed to be together at all.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Basic dog training is really cheap....about $75 for puppy classes. The socialization techniques and basic obedience skills that you'll learn with Daisy can also be used on Peaches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I admit it was a mistake obtaining this new pup right now, to be honest it wasnt my doing. Long story short, we obtained the shih-tzu because a friend of ours that had got her decided that due to her having a baby soon, that she would rather wait for a dog, and of course.....my girlfriend fell in love with the dog, we were only supposed to watch it for a couple days, but when we gave it back my girlfriend was devastated.

So thats how we come to have the new dog. I really hope through all the literature out there, and time&patience that I can at the very least get my dog Peaches, to not want to hurt the little one. Also, we never intend to let them run free while un supervised, the Shih-tzu has become very fond of her crate, so keeping her in there while we are away will not be a problem. Thanks for the replies, keep the advice coming!

And would anyone recommend i pick up a quality shock collar to use on my Bigger dog Peaches? Not to use directly when she agresses the little dog, but to trainer her but to use to make her obey me and know that I am in charge, because she still has her ways and is selective when she wants to obey me.

thank,
Ryan

By the way, the dog trainer i had come out and do a free demo was

http://www.sitmeanssit.com/

anyone have any opinions on them?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I am personally not an advocate of electronic collars, at the very least not for basic obedience. I do know there are trainers here who do and maybe they will pop in and give you some info.
Sit means sit uses ecollars exclusively, using them as negative reinforcement tools. I am familiar with them but again, will not recommend them as good, bad or otherwise. I think there are better methods out there than using aversives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts