Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dusty is new to us. We got her from a shelter and she is mostly Pit Bull. She is a smart dog and I am working with her on basic commands. Since we obtained her from a shelter, we do not know her exact age; however, she is 55lbs, kinda big feet and acts puppish, so I will say she is around a year.

Being that she is young, I walk with her for 30mins at least twice a day and maybe add a jog of up to 30 minutes as well.

She is learniing to walk/jog on the lead and is pretty good at it; given that I have had her for less than two weeks.

THE PROBLEM: I understand socialization is important. I try to have her meet people and dogs as much as possible. However, with dogs, she is a puppy and she wants to play. She in turn, pulls, jumps....paws, etc. and since she has a choke collar on, ends up choking herself. WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HER SETTLE AND UNDERSTAND THAT PULLING IS UNEXCEPTABLE. When she pulls while walking, I correct it by giving her a verbal "ah ah" or i will walk the other way. However, when another dog is around, I am lost. It is also a turn off to the other dog owners. Can anyone help here?
-thanks,
-Rich

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you considered getting Gentle Leader collar? My trainer likes to use it on dogs that has the tendency to pull, and said it's like power steering. I haven't tried it on my dog as my dog doesn't really pull unless if I use the "ah ah" command.

Here's some tips that I read about:

- if the dog pulls, do a quick 180 turn, and say ah ah at the same time. When the dog comes back to you and relieves the tension on the leash, then you can proceed to walk. The walk itself is the treat. My trainer told me that when this happens, step out with your left foot (it's a standard rule that the dog is on your left side), so your dog knows that you're ready to go.

- find a building and have your dog be close to the building and you walk along side of it, it seem to slow the dog down a little. This helped my dog in a way.

- train her using the "Watch me" technique...it's to divert her attention to you, not the dogs.
Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My dog is exactly like this. She wants to play with every dog we see. I use the prong collar because she is big/strong super duper puller, she listens to commands way better with this on, however, if we see a dog it doesn't matter, she will pull anyways most of the time unless I time it at just the perfect time with a quick snap of the leash. Timing the corrections is the key. I've been lucky with most people we pass, they let our dogs sniff and greet eachother, except for Monday when an aggressive dog came and bolted at mine out of the blue

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Walking her with other dogs might help over time. My girl walk a leash well and doesn't pull much, but I do that with people who have unruly pullers that are dragging them to us when I have time to. Seems to help some I guess, and I get to meet new people.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all and for the advice. I think im just dealing with a young dog who is strong and needs to be socialized w/other dogs. She is great on the lead and when we walk even if other dogs are near. I will take her to a dog park and let her run with others.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Misty does the same thing, but it's improved GREATLY with constant practice. When you walk her, randomly treat her for walking without pulling. That way, it'll sneak into the back of her mind that being beside you is more beneficial than pulling. I'd also recommend the Gentle Leader harness--I just purchased one to use with Misty and it works very well. I'd take it over a choke collar any day.

Basically, the leash is hooked to the front of their chest. So, instead of going anywhere when they pull, go nowhere. Like the previous poster said, pull your dog around and get the attention back on you. Sometimes it doesn't work. Try staying further distances away from the dogs and walking past. Get a friend with a dog to sit nearby and walk your dog back and forth. If your dog gets too excited, turn around and walk the other way like you said you're doing.

Believe me, it DOES get better. Misty had already improved greatly before we got the Gentle Leader.. I only purchased it to see if it would give me more control in those "out-of-control" moments. .. And it does.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts