Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved into a mobile home that has a very long narrow hallway down to our bedroom with that fake wood laminate stuff on the floors and poor Sydney cannot seem to keep her balance on it at all. In the mornings SO and I always take the silly approach to life and run down the hallway in the mornings and whenever we're in the bedroom because it slides so nicely in socks lol.

The problem is that Sydney, our long legged Catahoula cannot keep her footing on this floor. The same is also in the kitchen, so whenever she goes from stopped to start, or any quick movement, she slips and slides and if going too quickly will fall on her butt on this flooring.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm looking into carpet runners, but I can't imagine they won't slip around the same way, and I really hate carpet so we are looking to replace the living room carpet first chance. We hope to only be in this place for a few years while I finish grad school and hubby gets a kick ass job, but I feel so badly that Sydney can't walk down the dang hallway. Our ACD mix has never had a problem with it, but she has a much lower center of gravity and is a little bit more sure footed overall.

Not really sure what I'm looking for in replys, but I just feel like a jerk every time she slips going down the hallway.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bella didn't take well to the hardwood floors & laminate kitchen flooring when we first moved here, either. But she has learned to be more careful...especially when jumping up on the couch or bed. I ended up puting little area rugs around the bed so she could get her footing... it got worse when I got a new bedroom set and the bed is now about 6" higher...half the time her hind legs would slip out from under her and only her front half would make it up....LOL. It was funny to watch, but I felt bad and she found NO humor in it at all.

I don't like carpet either...but area rugs can be taken outside and shaken/aired out.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
She'll probably get used to it.

You can try trimming any hair that sticks out past her paw pads, that will make things less slippery for her. I've used the small blunt ended scissors (like a man might use to trim his mustache) for that.

If you use a carpet runner, you need to use the kind with a rubber backing or lay one of the rubber no-slip carpet pads down under the runner.

But I'd just give her time and encourage her not to speed down the hallway.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She'll probably figure it out. Muggsy had the worst time when we moved into our current home. The first floor is hardwood and tile. (I like to skate across the tile, too.) after a few weeks, muggsy stopped slipping.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You could go to the thrift store and find a few cheap rugs, bathmats, or shower mats. Then, cut long, 4 in wide strips. Place those on one side of the hallway all the way (you may need some duct tape, wallpaper glue, rubber cement, or something temporary to keep it down.) Sydney will have not problem hugging the wall, and you can keep slip sliding away.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lowes sells the thin rugs with grippy rubber undersides. Pretty cheap. I picked up a few in different sizes for door mats inside the house. You could use a few strategically placed ones. I also trim the hair back under the pads. I use super sharp trimming shears from an online dog sully store.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought about trimming her feet hair, I will give that a try! We've been there for a few months now and I've been waiting for her to get used to it, but I think she's just a little clumsy by nature lol. I wonder if i put carpet on one half of the hallway and leave the other clear, which one she would prefer... I feel an experiment coming on!! Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts