Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've completely lost my mind by agreeing to take care of my sister's 16 week old Aussie! I've never seen a dog with so much energy in my life!! It's only day two and I'm completely exhausted!

On top of that I already have a 15 week old pup of my own. Kina who's a Cavalier mix with bichon. As you can imagine in size they are one extreme to another.

As you can imagine, I'm having a bit of issues here. Lexus the Aussie is very head strong and is dominating over Kina. They get along well, and will play together. But I think Lexus doesn't know how strong she is compared to Kina as Kina has come running to me yelping because Lexus had bitten her too hard. While Kina is yelping, you can tell that Lexus is concerned as she has this look of sorry on her face.

I have a question about dogs playing together. (Sadie and Kina don't play together). But when dogs play together, especially play fighting, is there a way that I can prevent Lexus from grabbing Kina bythe neck. I'm just afraid that she may snap down on her, even though I know she isn't biting down at her. It's just that her whole mouth is around Kina's neck and I don't like that at all. It's just that it's like Lexus is just holding Kina like that.

Also, Lexus goes swimming in her water bowl. Is there a way to prevent this? I've tried to correct her, but as soon as I turn my back, she's back to swimming in her bowl. My sister say only to put a tiny bit of water in there, but there has to be a way from stopping her from emptying all the water from her bowl on to the kitchen floor!!

Another thing, (sorry for all the questions but I think I'm in over my head! and I still have a week of this). Lexus is really good at letting Kina climb all over her, she'll let Kina grab at her ears and everything, but when I comes to toys, chew toys and bones etc. Lexus thinks she owns all the bones toys and everything. They'll both have a chewy, but Lexus will still try to get Kina's. Kina is so nonchalance about it, she'll give it up to Lexus and will sit there with nothing, but if Kina tries to get it back, I see Lexus' lip snarl up, she won't growl or anything and will even let Kina chew at the other end, but will not even give it up. I have no problem going over and taking stuff out of Lexus' mouth, and she'll even give it up to me. But she won't let Kina get it.

What I've been doing is keeping an eye on Lexus and when I see she's about to go over and steal Kina's today, I'll make an "et" sound and just sit her right back down. And then I'll keep an eye out, and if I see Lex even start to get fixated on Kina's toy, I'll make the "et" sound and Lex will stop the fixation. If Lexus does steal Kina's toy or chew thing, I'll get it back from Lex to give it back to Kina and give Lex the toy that she was originally chewing on. Is there something else I should be doing? Or is it a matter to sticking to it?

sorry this is so long.

Apart from the 5 km walk I took Kina and Lexus on this morning, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to drain the energy out of an Aussie puppy?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
As you can imagine, I'm having a bit of issues here. Lexus the Aussie is very head strong and is dominating over Kina. They get along well, and will play together. But I think Lexus doesn't know how strong she is compared to Kina as Kina has come running to me yelping because Lexus had bitten her too hard. While Kina is yelping, you can tell that Lexus is concerned as she has this look of sorry on her face.
I think you may be anthropomorphising... dogs don't develop "sorry" or "remorseful" facial expressions.

I have a question about dogs playing together. (Sadie and Kina don't play together). But when dogs play together, especially play fighting, is there a way that I can prevent Lexus from grabbing Kina bythe neck. I'm just afraid that she may snap down on her, even though I know she isn't biting down at her. It's just that her whole mouth is around Kina's neck and I don't like that at all. It's just that it's like Lexus is just holding Kina like that.
How does Kina respond? Dog play can get really rough and tumble, but as long as neither party is being bullied, you should usually let them sort things out on their own. When they play, is Lexus always on top? Is Kina ever chasing Lexus or is it always Lexus who does the chasing?

Also, Lexus goes swimming in her water bowl. Is there a way to prevent this? I've tried to correct her, but as soon as I turn my back, she's back to swimming in her bowl. My sister say only to put a tiny bit of water in there, but there has to be a way from stopping her from emptying all the water from her bowl on to the kitchen floor!!
How big is her bowl? Have you tried getting one of those water bowls with a rubber base? They're much more difficult to tip over.

5 km walks are not a good idea for an Aussie pup right now... that seems really long and her joints and bones have not yet fully calcified. Prolonged hard impact on the joints can cause permanent damage to them, which will be tough to deal with when she's older. Take them swimming -- that wears them out without impacting their joints -- and do training sessions with them. Give her a size-appropriate recreational raw meaty bone to chew on. Play fetch -- on grass if possible.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were both a lot better today. I thing they've gotten use to teh fact that they're together all day now as appose to just seeing each other for a few hours on Sunday. (that's when my sister and I usually get together).

I was paying attention to how they play and it is 50/50 on each end who's on top, and I've noticed they aren't playing as rough with each other. Maybe they've realized on their own that biting each other hurts.

Maybe they just needed to be left alone to figure out how to play, I just took a step back and just let them figure things out. If you would have walked into the house today, you would have thought they were two different pups.

As for the water bowl thing,, it isn't that she is tipping the bowl, she has both paws in there, pouncing in the blow, and doing the doggy paddle in there, scooping the water out. The bowl isn't very big either, just big enough for her to get both paws in.

She hasn't done it today, I did a firm "hey", and physically removed her paws out of the bowl and she hasn't done it since.

DH had even filled the bowl up half way last evening and he informed me that she didn't even try to remove the water.

I've also been stimulating them "mentally". Trying to teach them new tricks, and practice their commands. It's amazing how just stimulating them "mentally" can wear them out!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I had an Aussie mix and she played in the water bowl...which was outside. I had to get her a small pool. She stopped immediately. Don't think this will work for you tho :eek: Maybe your DH has it right...don't fill the bowl up as much and that may solve the problem. Just remember to check it more often! Good luck this week. You are a VERY good sister...:D

I've also been stimulating them "mentally". Trying to teach them new tricks, and practice their commands. It's amazing how just stimulating them "mentally" can wear them out!
Hey, I'm pooped at the end of the day and I don't do anything physical. But then I'm getting old(er). ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are a VERY good sister...:D QUOTE] That or I've completely lost my mind!!! :eek:

My sis does have a baby pool at her house for it, but Lex just uses it as a giant water bowl. Yet she doesn't do the swiming thing in it.

But seriously, Lexus is a really sweet dog. Smart too!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
My sis does have a baby pool at her house for it, but Lex just uses it as a giant water bowl. Yet she doesn't do the swiming thing in it.

But seriously, Lexus is a really sweet dog. Smart too!
Aussies are VERY smart...too smart for their own good sometimes. ;) She will get used to the pool. All Misha did was walk around in it...got a photo somewhere of her laying in it. It doesn't take much water in it to make them happy...just to get their feet wet and cool off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts