Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My neighbors (directly across the street) got a German Shepherd pup awhile back. They are good people but should never have gotten him. They own a Chinese restaurant and work 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week. They were leaving him out in their yard (an acre) and he was catching squirrels, rabbits and anything else he could. One day their gate was left open and he attacked our neighbors dog (right next door to them), a Boston Terrier who was on a leash. He bit her but was able to be pulled off before any more damage could be done. We all hoped that this was a wake up call and that they would get their dog the training he so desperately needed. Well, less than a month later, my neighbor was out in the backyard with her dogs on a leash and saw that the GS was getting really agitated and trying to jump the fence. Before she had the chance to remove her dogs, the dog had jumped the fence and starting attacking her other Boston terrier and her. Her husband (who was in their screened in pool enclosure) literally jumped through the screen to help. The dog then stared attacking him and bit him in the stomach. My neighbor was able to hold the dog down and called us on his cell to come help. My boyfriend ran over there with a leash and brought the dog over to our house while we called the owners at their restaurant. The dog was strangely calm. It was all very traumatizing for everyone involved. In fact, the women was hysterical and I thought we may have to call the paramedics. My neighbor insisted on calling the sheriff and having the dog removed immediately. Well, you can imagine our surprise when AC got there and said the dog would be quarantined at their house for the 10 day waiting period. We surely thought that the dog would be removed after they went to court but no, they got to keep him.They paid all of the vet and medical bills ($2,000) but, of course it has caused a lot of friction in our neighborhood. Putting us in the middle.
Now, they keep the dog in a crate in the garage all day and let him out on a tieout when they get home. To my knowledge, they have not done any training with him.
Now, to my dilemma...........
The owner of the GS came over to my house, the other day, to ask if I would take care of him for a month while they go home to Malaysia. They are not leaving until May. I first said, I would have to spend time with him since I have had no contact with him since the horrible incident and make sure he is comfortable with me but I am having second thoughts. I also told her we may be out of town for a couple days during that time just to give myself an out. I want to help but think this may be an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'd recommend they board him at their vet's or some other boarding kennel that's prepared to take care of a dog with a bite history. That's too big of a responsibility for me.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'd tell them you're not prepared to take a dog with a bite history and also advise that they board the dog at the vet. Be truthful, it'll be far more of a favor to them than lying.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
People can't give a thumbs up or down, I removed the icon.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yeah, no. I would not be caring for their dog. I would feel terrible about it, but I would tell them they need to board him for his and your safety.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I might check out some board and trains in your area, and if you find any that use positive reinforcement, please recommend them to your neighbor. This dog is a big liability and I sure wouldn't take on responsibility for it as a favor. That way, he would have a month of training, but if the couple is unwilling to work with him, that's just a bandaid. He needs a home which will work with him and give him the outlets he needs (difficult to do with a dog who has attacked a human - especially a big dog. Or he needs to be euthanized.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I might check out some board and trains in your area, and if you find any that use positive reinforcement, please recommend them to your neighbor. This dog is a big liability and I sure wouldn't take on responsibility for it as a favor. That way, he would have a month of training, but if the couple is unwilling to work with him, that's just a bandaid. He needs a home which will work with him and give him the outlets he needs (difficult to do with a dog who has attacked a human - especially a big dog. Or he needs to be euthanized.
Ditto to this ...

Are they from Malaysia? That's how most dogs are kept there. In small enclosures around the house as watch dogs that never get out or are ever given any mental stimulation. I would also try to explain how we expect dogs to be treated here, that they need training and exercise.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
They may be otherwise good people but . . . no, they're not good people. They have destroyed that dog and put their entire neighborhood at risk, and are directly responsible for the injury of humans and other dogs. They're not good people.

I would not have that dog in my house. I love GSDs. I feel so, so sorry for that dog. But he's human aggressive, untrained, probably just insane at this point and you should not be putting yourself at risk and helping these people hurt their dog further.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No i would not take care of this dog, will it be staying with you?, or are they going to leave it in the garage for you to pop in and out?, i can't beileve they even got to keep the dog, espically as it attacked two humans!, what if it does that to a kid?, i suppose someone is going to wait until it kills another dog or person before anyone does anything, it's sad for the dog but people's life's are in danger, and just because it's on a leash does not mean it will not get loose, does it not even have to wear a muzzle when out?.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
JUST SAY NO!!!! :)

Really, if anything goes wrong it will all be "your" fault. This is a mess. And it may not even be safe. You don't know what pisses this dog off. What if you make a mistake? Why risk it. I would say no but have a couple of places handy for them to call. Lets be real: They aren't likely to pay the boarding fees for a month-long stay. And no matter what they decide, the dog will likely be better off that she is now. There are fates worse than death and it sounds like she is living one. A working dog needs a life. Her existence sounds utterly miserable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yeah, no. I would not be caring for their dog. I would feel terrible about it, but I would tell them they need to board him for his and your safety.
I would not have that dog in my house...and you should not be putting yourself at risk and helping these people hurt their dog further.
Really, if anything goes wrong it will all be "your" fault. This is a mess. And it may not even be safe...I would say no but have a couple of places handy for them to call...A working dog needs a life. Her existence sounds utterly miserable.
This all sums everything up perfectly. A) Are they offering to pay you anything for it? If so, then perhaps there is hope that they would be willing to pay for a boarding/training place instead. B) Yeah...mess of a situation but you absolutely cannot put yourself in that position, no matter how much you may hope you could help the dog in a month's time with him. They are irresponsible people and the last thing you need is such a mess placed on you. I feel horrible for the dog, but the possible bad results very much, very, very much outweigh the possible positives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow - just wow. I have grown up with GSD's, so this story is really breaking my heart. I would defiantly say no. it is putting not only yourself at risk, but your whole neighnourhood. unfortunatly, i think this dog is just too far gone :( these people are irresponsible, and should not have bought a dog - especially a high maintenence one! Just say no - they really shouldn't have put you in that position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts