Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:) I am dog sitting a very hyper lab. She is well trained and the sweetest thing but she's wired, panting and could play catch for hours. I think that even though she's familiar with us she's stressing out a bit over her dad not being around. She doesn't seem to know what to do with herself. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help calm her down and make her more comfortable and at ease. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just came back from wearing her out:) When she fetched and didn't bring it back to me I knew she was done :p I hope she calms down. She's been panting non stop since she got here....running aside of course lol

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It can be difficult to separate normal, enthusiastic, 'ready for a run' activity and true hyper activity. If after a good run the dog continues to pace and is still quite restless, then something else might be going on.
One common source of hyper activity is the food the dog is getting. If it's mostly grains and cereals then it could be a constant sugar high from the food. The other common cause is a thyroid problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is very good information to know, Thank you. She's only here the weekend but I will let her owner know about the food. I did notice she seems to have the runs and the first things I thought were stress and the cheap bag of food he left for her. He always complains she won't stop so the food makes sense. We found the right food made the world of difference when we had a Border Collie.
She seems to have settled in finally and I will do my best to make sure she's comfortable :)
Thanks again for the suggestions

1 - 6 of 6 Posts