Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, our recent rescue dog Sophie has been a wonderful addition to our family. We got her back in April, and she's been great...

We've been noticing that she is having some issues with Men. While she doesn't have any issue with me or my wife and kids, she has had shyness and extreme timidness around my father and my father in law. We are guessing this has to do with her time as a stray before we got her.

Can anyone suggest what kind of training, or other resources I need to do or use to reduce the shyness/timidness around men?

Appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
She might be shy around them due to some of the traits they might be exhibiting (such as a loud booming/dominant voice or sudden movements).

I think the best way to get her to warm up to them is to help her associate positive things with men/the men she's having issues with. Try having them serve her food or give her treats when they're around. Also try having them walk her, and eventually play with her once she warms up to them a little bit. Consider limiting their interaction with the dog to positive experiences as well (treats, toys, exercise, and food for example). This will act as a security blanket so the dog only relates positive experiences with said person. With any luck the dog will realize that it's safe to be around them, and should warm up to them.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither of the men (father, father inlaw) are loud or boisterous people. My father looks and sounds ALOT like me. My father inlaw had 3 collies and is very much a dog person.

What really confuses me is that she took to me without any issues. I'm a big person 6'9" 290lbs) and can be loud, but she sticks to me like glue, (did from the very first minute)... hence my confusion....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts