Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here big into dog showing? I go to a lot of ASCA shows but I was wondering if anyone here does this too because there really is no chat room for dog showing .....

Groomer5220

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I used to show my Cavalier, he's retired now. I still make it out to as many dog shows as possible to watch the Afghans, since that's going to be my next breed. I also try to catch the Cavaliers if possible to see what the different judges preferences are just in case I decide to take my dog out of retirement. Once I get back to the states I plan on doing rally with my Dachshund and hopefully agility with my Springer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats cool! I love agility too! Its a lot of fun!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Jack has his CD from the AKC

Kechara has her CD NA NAJ OA OAJ AX AXJ From the AKC and is currently working to get her TD and CDX from AKC

and I am trying to get Hawkeye's ASCA CH (I think an AKC CH is out of his range) he will also be doing herding with ASCA Agility with both ASCA and AKC Obediance, and Tracking

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Yep - I show. Or rather, the dogs do their best and I make them look bad, most of the time. :)

LOL Yup! Some dogs have a larger burden to carry to the shows then others. I wonder how far my boys could go with a better handler? lol

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I have my first show puppy, and have mixed feelings! It was never my intention to show, but, I ended up with this little Standard Poodle girl whose breeder (whom I've known for years) knew I wanted another puppy in a year or two, but talked with me about this girl because she felt we were a perfect match for each other, AND, the puppy was stunning, so deserved a chance to show. I went for it because her Poodles have fabulous temperaments, along with the gorgeous looks. The mixed feelings come from being separated for brief periods of time while she's with her professional handler, and not being able to train in the way I would if she were not in the AKC Conformation show ring. Fortunately, her handler is someone I feel I can trust to treat her the way she deserves to be treated, and lives in my State, so I don't have to be without Lucia for months at a time. Lucia's personality, coupled with her looks, equals an awesome combination! We'll see if she's suited to the show world life.

Once she has finished showing, she'll begin the career her body and spirit were designed for - Canine Freestyle Dance!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Apparently in his passed life, my doxie was a show dog. I know nothing of this part of his life, and not sure how I'd learn about any of his titles/whatever you call them (I know absolutely nothing about showing). All that was passed on to me was his AKC certifications and that he used to compete.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Apparently in his passed life, my doxie was a show dog. I know nothing of this part of his life, and not sure how I'd learn about any of his titles/whatever you call them (I know absolutely nothing about showing). All that was passed on to me was his AKC certifications and that he used to compete.
Do you know what his AKC number is? if you can find that in his papers I can help you to find out if he ever got any titles

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Do you know what his AKC number is? if you can find that in his papers I can help you to find out if he ever got any titles
Oh, that would be neat! His number is HP18866402. Though, I really doubt he has any thing. His last owner dropped him at the shelter with his forms and stated he was "bad at showing" and his litters weren't selling, so they no longer wanted him.

I have his sire and dams number, if that would make a difference.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Oh, that would be neat! His number is HP18866402. Though, I really doubt he has any thing. His last owner dropped him at the shelter with his forms and stated he was "bad at showing" and his litters weren't selling, so they no longer wanted him.

I have his sire and dams number, if that would make a difference.
OK here is what I got

His Registered name is: "Sir Hot Coco"

His B-day is 11-24-05

and for His showing history it says:

he was never entered in any AKC shows

oh well sorry I guess thats not really what you wanted to hear

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
His last owner dropped him at the shelter with his forms and stated he was "bad at showing" and his litters weren't selling, so they no longer wanted him.
Now there's a quality breeder! :rolleyes: I don't know what's wrong with some people. And, if he was never even entered in a show, how do they know he was "bad at showing"? :mad:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
OK here is what I got

His Registered name is: "Sir Hot Coco"

His B-day is 11-24-05

and for His showing history it says:

he was never entered in any AKC shows

oh well sorry I guess thats not really what you wanted to hear
Haha! Darn. I forgot all about his silly name. His form says he was registered at about 4 months old, and I'm not surprised he didn't enter/place. His ears are REALLY deformed.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Now there's a quality breeder! :rolleyes: I don't know what's wrong with some people. And, if he was never even entered in a show, how do they know he was "bad at showing"? :mad:
They might have ment he wouldn't do good at showing, he might be the wrong color, have an over bite, ect. just generaly not a correct Dacshund

but I agree she must not have been a very good lady if his only worth to her was his ability to make babies that would fetch her a pritty penny.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I was slightly (OK, really) enraged when we found him. He was dumped at a kill shelter in Indiana and pulled by a shelter here, and he was only in the shelters for a week and he was severely emaciated and had an awful skin condition that left his ears, tail, and paws bloody and bald and did not happen inside a week. The explanation for his surrender was he wasn't good at showing and his puppies were not selling. Now that I know he was never shown I'm even more irritated.

His AKC papers have the breeder he came from, and I found their site and contacted them. I was polite and just asked if they knew one of their dogs were dumped off and if they knew any thing about why and let them know he was in a safe, healthy home. They responded, but only to try and sell me his mother or one of his sisters.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
They might have ment he wouldn't do good at showing, he might be the wrong color, have an over bite, ect. just generaly not a correct Dacshund

but I agree she must not have been a very good lady if his only worth to her was his ability to make babies that would fetch her a pritty penny.
The funny thing is, we've run into a couple of people who show doxie's and they went nuts over his body and asked if we did shows/bred.

But in the end, none of that makes a difference to me. His main responsibility is to be my little man. :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I was slightly (OK, really) enraged when we found him. He was dumped at a kill shelter in Indiana and pulled by a shelter here, and he was only in the shelters for a week and he was severely emaciated and had an awful skin condition that left his ears, tail, and paws bloody and bald and did not happen inside a week. The explanation for his surrender was he wasn't good at showing and his puppies were not selling. Now that I know he was never shown I'm even more irritated.

His AKC papers have the breeder he came from, and I found their site and contacted them. I was polite and just asked if they knew one of their dogs were dumped off and if they knew any thing about why and let them know he was in a safe, healthy home. They responded, but only to try and sell me his mother or one of his sisters.

Maybe you can try calling the animal control in the "breeders" area and filing an anonamous report of cruilty. I think AC are required to check out all cases

*aww* do you have a full body shot? he's adorable

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Maybe you can try calling the animal control in the "breeders" area and filing an anonamous report of cruilty. I think AC are required to check out all cases

*aww* do you have a full body shot? he's adorable
Not a bad idea, but we've had him a few months now. I'm not sure if the time lapse would make a difference.

He is far too wiggly of a man to get a good body shot, so the best I can do involves him getting ready to go to sleep.. on my butt.

And just sleeping :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts