Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just rescued a beautiful, 2-year old Golden and we already love her dearly. BB does the usual barking when someone comes to the door but calms down quickly and is friendly with strangers. Our concern seems to stem from a specific situation: when she is confined by herself - in the house, or a kennel - she will become almost vicious when someone approaches - even with people she knows. I boarded her at her foster home overnight recently and when I went to pick her up, she got up on her hind legs, threw herself against the door and barked and growled at me. Once I opened the door, she was fine. The other day when she was in our house alone, the neighbor - who BB knows and loves - came to the door to take her for a walk but BB threw herself at the storm door and was so intimidating, my neighbor was afraid to open the door. She seems to do better if she can't see who's at the door. I'm confused at her behavior because she's an otherwise sweet and affectionate dog. Can anyone explain this behavior? And any advice for changing it?

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
that is hard about dogs that have lived a life before you.. You don't know what they have learned from their previous environments and people... The neighbors behind us asked my dad if I could care for their two older pups (Irish setters) said he had them in a pen in the back yard as they were escape artist.. I found them in a small small wooden dog house with a piece of fencing over the opening to keep them in there.. It's shocker what people think is ok to do to the dogs... They came to stay in our yard and house until the neighbors got back and my dad tried to have a long talk with them...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think BB had a fairly good home - but who knows? She was given up by the family with no explanation as to why so I don't know what her story was. But you're right; it's hard to see how some people treat their pets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foster parent works at a vet clinic and warned us about this behavior. She said the other vet ass't was afraid of going into her kennel when she did this. Other than that, she said she was a very sweet dog. She was with the foster parent about a month when we got her about her 2 months ago. We got her on a Monday and my 3 adult children and 1 year old granddaughter came to stay with us on that Friday. We watched her very carefully - especially around my granddaughter - but BB was wonderful; immediately accepting and friendly with all of them. When we walk with her she will run or try to run to other people or dogs but is not aggressive - mostly wants to play. We're working on that but I have no idea how to deal with this other behavior.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
NOT YOU just in general mistakes that owners make ...
drag, shove puppies into crate instead of teaching them to go in crate on their own.
drag, shove, push puppy into crate every time they do something wrong
punish when in the crate, tease while they in the crate, poke at them in the crate

people use force to put puppies where they want them, stop them from doing things instead of doing training,, puppies get bigger and refuse, so you have to resort to more force on them .. and dogs learn to fight back.. and puppy finds a new home....

You just got this pup could work it's way out in time for having a positive home.. you can try using a baby gate area instead of a crate to work on positive confinement areas of being approached and being released.. also crate games leaving the door open to try to change it into a positive. Baby gate area so BB doesn't have access to the front door..

Bottom line for me the pup has learned some intense negative experiences.

Rust was a happy collie puppy when we put him on the plan in the US..

We flew a puppy to PR. When my dad went to cargo to get Rusty the crate was full of sticks and twigs and rocks people had tormented him inside the crate. Walking Rusty through the airport to leave.. he was crazied, we were the only one in our neighborhood community that didn't get robbed.. NO offense but he hated any local.. ONLY locals.. climb up with his teeth the iron work on the front patio at the mail man.. stuff like that.. Other then that he loved.. Dogs are not born this way they learn it's necessary...

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have no advice to offer, but my dog, who I've had since she was 8 weeks old, (in my signature) is very loving and friendly and generally happy. However she only has one bark and it sounds vicious. She barks like this especially when someone comes to the door, pulls in the driveway or cuts thru our yard or wants to play with us. She sounds like a maniac and could turn Cujo on us at any moment when she is barking like this. its harmless but she just has one bark, we call it her monotone bark.

Perhaps your dog has only one type of bark?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts