Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Is there any dog show people who come on here? Would love to chat with any. I show both AKC and UKC. As well as in the Bahamas and Bermuda. I love to hear about shows in states I am not showing in at time. And what judges people like or not. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We get a lot of Alaskan Klee Kai at our UKC shows. I enjoy seeing them. Such sweet dogs. Look like little foxes to me. And the way they look at you is if they are up to something. Or soon to be. lol We have had a few aussies as well. They are quite the showman. I am glad you get to deal with all that coat. lol I used to show American cockers and Afghans. Dont miss the coat. lol The chins are hairy enough for me now. I just have to deal with keeping them cool. We do some of our Ukc shows in Las Vegas and that is a bit tricky keeping them cool enough. And that is in October!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Oh I don't really deal with the coat very much. they are a very easy breed to groom. just gotta trim the feet and nails clip the strings off the ears and nub and then brush them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've shown CKC, and am preparing my crested to show AKC. Went to a show today, just to watch ... always love it! Was a lovely location at a regional park near a lake. Very relaxing for a dog show. Next weekend is a bigger one, indoors, and we're going again. Can't wait til I can put my Crested in!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I show used to show in AKC and I still go to the dogs shows to spectate almost every weekend.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've always shown AKC (conformation, agility, hunt tests). Interested in UKC, but not much around here in terms of showing. There are several UKC Retriever clubs around here, so there are many chances for UKC Hunt Tests, but I haven't tried them out yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've always shown AKC (conformation, agility, hunt tests). Interested in UKC, but not much around here in terms of showing. There are several UKC Retriever clubs around here, so there are many chances for UKC Hunt Tests, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Have you gone to the UKC website to find shows not too far from you? You would enjoy it so much. I have shown AKC for 35 years and now have done the UKC for 6. I prefer the UKC. So much more fun and no back biting and handlers winning it all. With UKC I feel it is more family and friend atmosphere. Would be worth a jaunt to another state for the weekend just to experience. You wont regret it.

It is wonderful to see so many people on here that do the shows. And so many that do UKC. I was a bit puzzled at first with the CKC as that is also a reigistration here in the US that a lot of the backyard breeders/puppymills use to register their dogs. Then I realized it was the Canadian Kennel Club. lol Silly me. I havent done those shows since I was a kid just first showing. I finished my first dog his Canadian Ch. way back in the late 70's. Oops. That ages me. lol But I sure enjoyed how beautiful the shows were. Maybe do them again when I can travel more. They really are nice shows.

We show here too!
Beautiful dogs! I wouldnt want to have to see the snakes bite though. lol I am sure he has beautiful teeth. lol The dobes have gorgeous heads. I am really impressed. I love that breed. I have a rescue dobe/cattledog mix we adopted long ago. Is now 14 years old and going deaf. But still full of energy and spunk. He just doesnt think he should have to put up with the show dog chins. He is above that. lol

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
:D Is there any dog show people who come on here? Would love to chat with any. I show both AKC and UKC. As well as in the Bahamas and Bermuda. I love to hear about shows in states I am not showing in at time. And what judges people like or not. Have a nice day.
What breed(s) do you show? Do you subcribe to any of the dog mags? I personally love to read Dog News to keep up on the rest of the show world. It's really expensive, but it's weekly instead of the normal monthly mags that have more dog adds than articles. I'd love to go to the Bahamas to show, can you tell us more about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I show AKC/UKC/IABCA for conformation (want to try a couple sieger shows this year.
I do AKC/UKC/APDT/C-wags/St Huberts and AHBA for performance venues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The Bahamas shows are lovely. Very nice weather and the beaches. MMMMM. To achieve a championship there you need to acquire two challenge certificates. Each worth 5 pts. The total pts. needed is 10. But if the judge does not feel your dog is worthy enough for a certificate they will not give you one. Very expensive to travel there and do them. Best to just take one dog. But worth it. Nice vacation to save for and do at least once. The Bermuda one I dont know the requirements but can find out. I havent done them in years. I just send my dogs with my mum who still goes and she brings them back champions. I show Japanese Chins now. I started with Afghans and American Cocker spaniels. When I grew up and got married and had children I changed to Miniature Pinschers. No coat. Wash and wear and easy to travel with. But now with the arthritis setting in and children almost all grown up. I decided I wanted something spaniely without all the coat. So I chose the chins. I am hooked. These are really neat little dogs who dont know they are dogs. lol

What breed(s) do you show? Do you subcribe to any of the dog mags? I personally love to read Dog News to keep up on the rest of the show world. It's really expensive, but it's weekly instead of the normal monthly mags that have more dog adds than articles. I'd love to go to the Bahamas to show, can you tell us more about it.

I subscribe to the AKC Gazette. Wont be renewing that one. Bloody awful now. It used to be such a good mag. :mad: And I also get of course the UKC Bloodlines. But I think they need to put a bit more in that one. Not enough articles. But I do like I can keep up with wins. Only prob is they dont seperate the breeds in the list. You know like AKC did in there event result mag. :D I have wanted to get the dog news mag. I should subscribe. Does it have a lot of good articles or mostly just ads. I hate when all you see is everyones ads. I like a good read. lol :p

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use to get the UKC blood lines,but they took out alot of the good things out.
I just need to keep track of what me and my dog are doing,not everyone elses.
Most stuff you can look up on line.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I started showing in AKC with dobermans a couple of years ago. In fact, I just officially got myself a breeding mentor. I can't wait to get started in my studies.:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts