Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone that shows has ever won a major in this fashion.

I have my ACD Merlin entered three days in a show in another state. in a couple of weeks. Its about a six hour drive. This show is a little farther than I normally travel but I entered because they usually get majors in my breed up there. With ten points and only one major it is to the point I need to start hunting majors.

Well the numbers came in a little short. 4-3 (2-0)
It takes five dogs to be a major in ACDs in the Southeast. I have four. The Bitches don't help because 3 bitches is a one pointer. But.... The two champion dogs could help. If Merlin took Winners Dog then went on to take Best of Breed, the two champion dogs would count towards his number for dog entries. Making it a total of six dogs. Which is a four point major in ACD's.

I think my chances are at least fair. The judge on Friday has put up class dogs over specials in a couple of breeds including ACD's. The Judge on Saturday seems to have a solid history of putting class dogs up for BOB over finished dogs. At least 50 percent of the time. If you look at this judge's record, she also seems to favor dogs that are near the top of the standard that have good movement. Which is what Merlin is. A big ACD that moves like a million bucks. I know who the two champions we would be up against are. One is the 2007 Crufts BOB winner. We went up against this dog twice before it got its AKC championship. We split the wins. The time Merlin beat this dog head to head, was for a four point major. The other champion I know as well. We have never been up against him head to head but I know the dog. He is getting older and doesn't move all that great. He is kind of cobby.

I think we have a shot.

Anyone else taken a major this way?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that the one Champion took Best of Breed at Westminster.

So my dog (assuming he took winners dog) would be up against the the 2007 Crufts Best of Breed winner and the 2009 Westminster Best of Breed winner.

http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/player/?id=1004042

My dog moves better than this dog. This dog also carries his tail too high.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's iffy. Could probably go either way. If you want to risk it, then go for it.

Oh I agree its iffy. I think my best chance is on Saturday. That judge really likes the herding breeds. I can only look up her judging record on the MB-F shows.

She has pulled a class dog up for B O B or Best OP twice out of sevenshows I have the record for in ACD's.One time she pulled the BOB And Best op out of class dogs over finished dogs.

Five out of 8 times in Aussies. 5 out of 7 times in GSDs. 1 out of two times in Bel Mals. At times with a lot of finished champions to choose from. One show she pulled the Open dog up over six champions.

She has also done it in both Rough and Smooth Collies.

I see a bit of a tendancy to pull the winner of the open dog class up. I know most of the ACD's she has put up. She seems to like a big good moving dog. Which is exactly what I have.

I also see no tendancy to put up professionally handled dogs up over owner or breeder handled dogs.

What I see on paper is that she shows no preference for professionally handled dogs. It appears she is looking for the best dog in her ring. Since I feel I have the best dog every time I walk into a ring, I think I have a shot. Maybe a long one. But a shot is a shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts