Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where people come up with these? Why are they so long and seemingly random?:confused:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Usually, they'll have one or more kennel names (typically at the beginning and the end), and then there may have been a litter theme, where all the pups from the litter had names along the same theme.

Other than that? People pick stuff just because it's fun.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Usually, they'll have one or more kennel names (typically at the beginning and the end), and then there may have been a litter theme, where all the pups from the litter had names along the same theme.

Other than that? People pick stuff just because it's fun.
Precisely, although some people have "themes" in their naming process. I like all of my TFTs to have musical names, since my founding sire is named "Beausoleil," after the zydeco band. TFTs that I buy from other kennels are named with musical names, too, but they have a spiritual or religious theme, after my foundation bitch, Amazing Grace.

Also, kennel names don't have to bracket the registered name. In the UKC tradition, my LoupGarou Kajun-Fox Beausoleil has my kennel name first, since I bought him; Kajun-Fox, which is the kennel name of the woman who bred him, and his registered name. I also co-own Starfire LoupGarou Bonne Annee--the woman whose kennel name is Starfire bought Bonnie, who I bred, from me.

Other limitations include the number of characters allowed and the "decency" of the words that are either implicit or implied. Typically, you can't use breed names, either.

Coming up with registered names can be both fun and aggravating--and certainly a challenge to creativity when the name you want to use won't fit the space limitations!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Carsten's AKC name is Silverhill's Star of Bethlehem. His Call name is Carsten which means "follower of Christ"
The reason for the long name was the breeder wanted the kennel name and also had a theme for the litter. The theme was botanical. I am NOT a plant person but found the "Star of Bethlehem" plant and it fit the call name I had chosen ahead. :)

Sometimes the breeders will chose a theme for their litters so they know immediately which litter said puppy is from by their name.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The puppy I'm getting (from LoupGarou, by the way) will have the registered name of "StarFire LoupGarou Gratia Plena," which is from the Latin hymn "Ave Maria," and means "Full of Grace." So in a way she's to be named after her grandmother.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You mean registered names. Which is the name that goes on record with the registering body and as it will appear in the pedigree. This does not have to do with dog shows/showing. All pups registered from a litter including pets quality dogs will have a registered name. Pets and non show dogs have a registered named typically longer then the call name.

I thought the question was literally why are dog show names so long. As the actual names of the shows the dogs compete in. :eek:

How people come up with them varies. A lot have the breeders kennel name and/or the new owner/kennel name. Some pick names that are a certain theme, others think of random names, some go with names that are a play on words or have a double meaning, other want a name that continues down the bloodline, ect.

Some of mine actually have very short names and others do have longer names.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, registered names. Learned something new.:)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
No reason to be sorry.

Its always great to learn and this forum is a good place for that.

I was also seems the only one who was confused. No big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts