Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
My wife and I about a month ago adopted a German Sheppard/Lab Mix from the SPCA. She is a good dog with some fundamental training but she seems to have some issues...the vet says she's roughly 18 months old and she will not play with any of the toys we get her, chew toys, pull toys, anything. We let her roam the house a when we got her and then she started getting into the trash, chewing blankets and baskets...even chewed the presents up under our Christmas tree! We tried putting her in the basement and she dug up the carpet as well as the door frame, so we put her in a kennel while we are gone for the day. She broke out multiple times bending the bars and scraping up her snout and leaving blood smears on the door from where she would jump on the door! Like I mentioned earlier...she has some training good around people and dogs at the park, at home perfect lays on the floor or next to you on the couch doesn't bark or beg for food, she just will whine and cry while in the crate. We don't want her hurting herself in the crate, we want it to be her "Safe Zone" but she willingly go in. Please any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You can't just put them in a kennel and not expect them to panic. You need to train them to like it. Google "Crate Games".
Make sure she is getting plenty of exercise. No jogging on hard surfaces yet (wait until after 2 yrs of age to protect joints), but 2 45 min brisk walks a day would be fine. Also engage the mind with training daily. A tired dog will be a better behaved dog. Excess energy has to find an outlet, usually in being destructive.

Also look up separation anxiety. That could also be at issue, and there are meds for it. Also training "I'll be Home soon", is good to google for info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case it helps...
She is roughly 18 months, 60 pounds, has chew toys, ropes and a kong, does not fetch or play with toys when we're home. We go to the Dog park 2-3 times a week and walk her every morning. She yelps if you grab her to quick or "spook" her. We're also trying to get her to stop play biting. SUPER excited when we get home will jump just about over me (6' 1") does not like trash bags or when you whip? a sheet or blanket as if your putting it on the bed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! and we've looked into crate games but she avoids the crate like the plague won't even get a treat from in there. We think she was abused maybe?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks! and we've looked into crate games but she avoids the crate like the plague won't even get a treat from in there. We think she was abused maybe?
Probably not. She just wasn't trained to like a crate and likely has a lot of anxiety. A morning walk and dog park a few times a week isn't even close to enough exercise for a young GSD. My mellow, middle aged guy gets 2 hours a day of walking. Your girl needs at least that, plus a lot of training to work her mind. She also needs a vet visit to discuss treatments for anxiety. Look up kikopup on youtube, she has great videos on training, and that type of training will bond you together and help your girl become more confident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts