Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a mixed dog that is female, and is 6 years old.
She has had seizures for awhile now, about 1-2 per month that last 4-8 minutes.
I know it can be common for certain dogs so we put her on medication.
The medication does not prevent seizures, but slows it down.
Last month after the vets she had two seizures in one day, the first one lasted 4-8 minutes, and the second one lasted for about 2 minutes. After another month (today) she had the same problem.
We called the vet, and they just gave us stronger medication.
I just wanted to know if this is normal or if it is very serious.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I own a purebred Italian Greyhound named Maxwell. Max joined our family in 2004, he was 3 months old .Three days before his first birthday Max had his first of many seizures. He has been on phenobarbital for Approx. 7 years and he rarely has seizures.

Maxwell eat a grain free dog food which is supposed to help prevent seizures. There are several threads on seizures in this forum.Use the search thread to find them. Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My ACD, Ma'ii, was having seizures for a while. His were very minor, but it's distressing and scary as hell to watch someone you love go through that, no matter how severe. At the time, there were no explanations for why he was experiencing them, and it was believed by us through research that it was from stress of life changes, since we had only recently adopted him out of a home he had been living in for 6 years - his whole life.

Then, when we took him to the vet a few months ago for issues that we thought were unrelated, we discovered that he had a calcified spinal disc. Turns out, the seizures he was experiencing were in direct connection to that :/

Anyways, I don't have any advice aside from maybe seek a second opinion, but I just wanted to say that I feel for you and your dog.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have an epileptic dog as well, I sympathise those seizures are scary as hell. Hard to watch when there's really nothing you can do. Our neurologist said that seizures any more frequent than once every 2 months or one that was difficult to bring the dog out of (more than 30 min I think) OR two in one day is very serious and requires medication for management. I see you already had a very visit, was it a neurologist or just a regular vet? If he's already on medication and still seizing that often I would go see a neurologist. Sorry to hear about your pup, good luck with this issue!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 7yr old maltepoo who has been having seizures since he was three.He too is on phenobarbital 37.5 milligrams twice a day,also have valium on hand for after a really bad episode.He gets so hyper after an attack,the valium helps to calm him.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We've had a few different dogs from the rescue who had to be put on seizure medications. After starting meds the only time any of them ever had another seizure (that we know of) is when their adoptive families forgot to administer their meds.
If the medication your dog is on isn't working very well you may want to have a another vet take a look at him. Hopefully you can find something that will work. Then again; maybe no medication will ever stop them completely but it's worth a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts