Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old Formosan Mountain Dog that I have had for 2 months. I adopted her from a rescue that had her sent from Taiwan, at 7 months old. She has been making excellent progress towards becoming a well socialized and well behaving dog, but lately, for about 5 days, she has been acting stressed in our back yard. There's some new gopher holes in yard that she is very focused on. She is distracted, won't listen, won't go to the bathroom outside (she had her first accident inside this morning) and she threw up for the first time today as well. I'm working on getting rid of the gophers, but is that normal behavior for a dog when encountering "outsiders" in her yard? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm not sure about throwing up, but most dogs will naturally focus on prey animals they encounter. Dogs are predators, after all.

Just keep up the training inside and at outside places she's more relaxed at. The more you firm up commands in calm environments, the easier it is to reteach them in a more distracting environment. You always have to reteach, btw. Dogs aren't good at generalizing, so it's totally normal for a dog to know sit inside and not know what it means outside. Often people have to reteach in every room of the house.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My dogs always get antsy, and a bit crazy when they can tell other animals have been in the yard, or are still in the yard. We live out on acres and acres, so wildlife is always around. Sometimes I will use some training commands to calm them down, so they can get back to going potty. I will give the "look" command, or ask them to "sit" etc.
Of course, my dogs are older, and we have already worked on making sure they know their commands inside, outside, down the street, anywhere. Amaryllis is right, dogs don't generalize well. So, you have to teach a dog inside where they won't be distracted, and then gradually teach them the same thing outside where they may have a harder time focusing. But, once you know she can perform commands even with distraction, you can use those commands to get her refocused on you and not on the animals.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Just wanted to add what got rid of our gopher coloney, and that was dog waste.. as crazy as it is, my group pooped on them right off the property. Best wishes with your pup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts