Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 year old Shiba Inu. Yesterday morning I awoke to him exhibiting strange behavior, acting very timid, almost depressed, wouldn't eat or drink anything. He used the bathroom just fine with no strange odor, blood, diarrhea, anything to signify any stomach or intestinal problems, he also hasn't vomited at all. I gave him a strong rubdown, especially around the abdomen to look for pain, but he exhibited none, but a few times he has let out a random half-hearted whine at very random times that seem more emotional than physical. Today he showed improvements, I gave him some watered up soft food and he devoured it, is moving around the apt a little more, but he still turns his head away from water, I even bought bottled water, cleaned his bowl, and mixed in some chicken broth to entice him but wound up having to pour water into his mouth with a syringe, which he did drink and did not spit up anything. Firstly I won't have the money for a vet visit until Monday, but as said, he did show improvement today just not by leaps and bounds like I had hoped. Of course my first concern was parvo but the lack of any digestive issues at all after two days negates that. I also just moved into a new place but he's been fine here for two weeks so I don't think it's a displacement issue. I guess my question is why would a perfectly healthy, normally very happy dog spontaneaously become lethargic and lose his thirst/appetite without showing any hint of digestive distress. No smells, no dehydration, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no blood, just a lack of energy and a repulsion to water. If I had the slightest sign that something was physically amiss I'd take him to the vest, but it goes without saying something this vague or peculiar will land me a sky-high bill no matter what, so if there's anything off the shelf I can get for him to entice his appetite or relieve any minor pain (aspirin? I know Tylenol or Motrin are toxic) I'll try anything, but frankly I don't have the $500+ to spare for x-rays, blood tests, and anything else the vet would want to go for but I will if it gets any worse. So I need to get some feedback asap. Please and thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also normally when I walk him, being a Shiba, he drags me around to sniff everything, no he is still going to the bathroom (Less today but I gather that's just because he's ate/drank way less yesterday), still marking trees ect, and still walking ahead of me, but without his usual gusto. Don't know if that's a symptom but I'm giving everything I can.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Do you have a thermometer, so you can take his temperature? If not, get one. His temp should be around 100. If it is over 102 or under 98 you need a vet immediately.

Can you try boiling some boneless, skinless chicken breast, and cooling the water it was cooked in, and offering him that?

Could he have a tooth problem that cold water is bothering? Try tepid water.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For a cheap consult, if you are just wanting to wait a few hours and see try JustAnswer vets (the website)- mosto f them have good info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts