Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some info here from people who have experience in the area.

I have no experience with owning a dog so I can only say what I feel, and based on interaction with other people who own dogs.

For starters, the dog doesn't belong to me, but belongs to people I know (husband and wife). At the times I have seen the dog, in the past months I am starting to suspect this particular dog is the more dominant one. This is a adult dog. ANd the dog concerned used to have a previous owner (how many I have no idea).

One trait I have notice with this dog is when the dog is let into the house, the dog just seems to barge right through at times, (or at times attempt to barge right through) not waiting for the owners to go in first, and it is something I have seen often.

Another concern is the constant seeking attention, to the point where the attention seeking behavior is more on the wild side (not aggressive, at least not aggressive yet, but more over excited hyper type).

Now the wife is pregnant and is soon to give birth, and one thing I am noticing is the dogs behavior and attention seeking seems to be getting worse, not to mention seems to be barking more often at times.

Can this dog really become a major problem and super jealous when the child is born?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Dominance isn't a thing in dogs, so don't worry about that.

The dog "barges in" because nobody taught him to do otherwise. The dog barks for attention because it gets him attention, and dogs always do what works for them. He sounds like a young dog who isn't adequately trained or exercised, certainly not a bad dog.

Could the dog "be a problem" when the baby comes? Define "problem". If you mean violent or dangerous towards the baby, nothing you've described makes me thing the dog is aggressive, but it's certainly possible for a large dog to accidentally hurt a baby by knocking them over, etc. That's not even so much a training issue as it is watch the baby and the dog when they're together, and when you can't watch, keep them apart. Very simple, basic, normal precautions when you have a dog and a baby.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dominance isn't a thing in dogs, so don't worry about that.

The dog "barges in" because nobody taught him to do otherwise. The dog barks for attention because it gets him attention, and dogs always do what works for them. He sounds like a young dog who isn't adequately trained or exercised, certainly not a bad dog.

Could the dog "be a problem" when the baby comes? Define "problem". If you mean violent or dangerous towards the baby, nothing you've described makes me thing the dog is aggressive, but it's certainly possible for a large dog to accidentally hurt a baby by knocking them over, etc. That's not even so much a training issue as it is watch the baby and the dog when they're together, and when you can't watch, keep them apart. Very simple, basic, normal precautions when you have a dog and a baby.
I agree with you mostly but I think this dog could certainly do with more training before a baby arrives, especially because it's prone to pushing or getting over excited and possibly jumping up (?), that could be dangerous if the parent is carrying the baby and could get knocked over or the dog can jump up and scratch the baby.

Whether this is a problem with the owners is a different matter, I know some people who are very happy to have their dog be very excited around them when people come or they return home so that's up to them.

To be honest my biggest worry is the issues being un-addressed and then they rehome the dog because it's causing problems after the baby is born. If you're a friend and have time could you offer to walk the dog(s) to help?

·
Registered
777 Posts
The dog sounds like it's just not getting enough exercise. When mom is in her third trimester, there is less ability for both her and the dad taking care of her to get a dog walk in every day.

Door dashing is not dominance but rather training. (Edit: For example, our dogs always run out the back door first but always come in after me. Yet at the front door they stay in the house until they are told they can exit. Are they dominant when they go into the backyard and submissive when they come inside? No. They just have that habit and I'm OK with it. If I wanted, I could very easily make them wait because they are trained.) Back door training for us was pretty easy. Open the door slowly. If the dog tries to rush out, the door closes in their face. When the dog stops crashing into the door or shoving his face into the opening and exits gently, he gets a dog cookie and lots of praise when he exits.

Getting excited and jumping on people is not dominance or aggression but just crazies. Same for barking more. Witholding talk, touch, and eye contact when he is wild and then praise and a piece if dog food anytime he stands quietly when greeting will help encourage calm greetings. I agree that it sounds like they just need a dog walker and most of the serious issues would go away. Serious, as in could hurt a baby by accident from being a hyperactive, well-meaning dog.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Frankly this was Thud until he was at least 2. Not that we didn't train, but I wasn't going to bother asking for behavior I had little chance of success with, and sometimes we just needed to get out of the house. Or in the house. Or he needed to play. It just, to me, sounds like an exuberant young dog who may need more exercise and training and may just need more brain. Who knows, but I'd certainly not expecting it to snap and maul the baby. It sounds like an awesomely friendly, good tempered dog at LEAST.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts