Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Porkchop shoots her butt across the floor and chews at her butt so often!

She is on a grain free food.
She just had her anal glands expressed to see if it would help. They were not even full but I had them do it anyway to see if it helped. Do not think this is the issue.

I personally think it is environmental allergies because she chews at her feet too. We control that by washing her feet often and we have a prescription spray for her feet that helps.

Any suggestions for other things I can do to give her some relief from this itching? We are in FL and there are a million different allergens here. Plus we have an Oak tree in the back yard which I have heard some dogs have Oak allergies. There is really no telling what it is, probably many things outside. I am looking to see if anyone has any good suggestions for relief, maybe for a cream or spray or wipes...anything.

I just gave her an oatmeal shampoo bath and a benedryl. I hope it helps her tonight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Have you had her checked for worms? Also, dogs can be allergic to the proteins in a food, so switching to a different protein may help. If its just her butt, I'd say it's not environmental, though it's possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her feet bother her just as much. And we switch the protein source now and again. We do not always by just chicken or just venison. Right now I think they have fish and we just bought a bag of fowl for when that runs out.
As for worms, the vet asked the same thing but said if we give her monthly heartworm prevention, she should not have worms. I didn't even know that was true but I guess ivermectin must do all of that.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
How about chiggers from the sand? I got them once when I was living in the keys from a cat on the beach. It was down right miserable. .... just something else to mention to the vet. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, we had her anal glands expressed... don't think this was the issue but did everything we could think of. and I have not noticed obsessive licking/chewing! She got a oatmeal bath, sprayed her butt with the allergy spray I usually use on her feet and have been giving her allergy meds. Guess I just have to keep it all up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts