Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 15 week old puppy who is doing AMAZING in the potty training department, no more crate messes no more indoor messes at all unless he is excited hehe. The problem I am having is trying to get him to poop in his dog run. He will pee in there play in there sleep in there but NO POOP! it has a house sunshade and the floor is bricks.

I have tried getting the "fake grass" from Perfect lawn but theyre indestructicable grass apparently is very destructable lol. He pees on it and eats it thats about it. haha

We are training him to do his "busy" in the run and its going well with the pees but he will NOT go poop in there. I have placed him in there after eating in the morning and he refuses to poop to the point hes bursting and crying, I dont feel right about making him feel that way so I open the door and he runs out starts to go right away then I tried once to pick him up and put him back in while he was going and he stopped and cried and cried and wont go until hes out.

I dont get it! lol Anyone offer any suggestions? :redface:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The run is 13'x5' right now he poops all over the edges of the yard and never wants to go in the same spot twice. he poops mostly on the dirst and grass so far.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Do you clean up after him right away? Or within a relatively quick time frame?

OK, to be honest, I'm not sure I would push this issue. He obviously has some aversion to pooping in the dog run. I would guess it's either the brick surface or an instinct not to dirty the small space. Lots of dogs are like that, and also lots of dogs like to distance themselves from their waste ASAP. I know my dog tries to run away when she's done. Honestly, I think what you describe is pretty normal, and since he goes in your yard, the status quo isn't even that inconvenient.

You could try putting it on command and then giving the command in the dog run. But I would worry that anything harsher than that would potentially backfire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally yes I do a poop run at the end of each day and there would be a max of 2 landmines, the last bit ive left it a little longer just in the hopes he woudl not worriy about it. But he will play in the yard and if he gets close he sniffs slows down and slowly backs way off. I tried placing a fresh one in his run in the hopes to show him its ok to be in there but he just went to his dog house and ate a bone lol. he stayed away from it.

I have him peeing on command right now but he doesnt seem to poop normally...he will hold it on his own with full access to the outdoors for hours he just doesnt seem to want to go and other days its 5 minutes after eating lol. hes a random boy lol.

I had one lady tell me just to put him in there till he goes but I didnt agree with that at all. sigh, mabye he will never go in there. lol

I think I will have to work on the command for poops thing....gonna be alot of time outdoors lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think your dog is trying very hard not to dirty his "den". The 13x5 space isn't very large, so he doesn't feel like there's any room to go far away enough to poo. I'm surprised he'll pee in there. This behavior is totally normal and you really don't want to extinguish it. It'd teach him to potty on command (clicker and treat) and just take him across the yard to poo whenever his normal time is. Take him on leash at first so he'll go where you want him to go. After awhle, he'll hopefully go to that area automatically. A friend of mine trained her boxer to go in a certain area, and to this day, he always goes to that area to pee/poo.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think your dog is trying very hard not to dirty his "den". The 13x5 space isn't very large, so he doesn't feel like there's any room to go far away enough to poo. I'm surprised he'll pee in there. This behavior is totally normal and you really don't want to extinguish it. It'd teach him to potty on command (clicker and treat) and just take him across the yard to poo whenever his normal time is. Take him on leash at first so he'll go where you want him to go. After awhle, he'll hopefully go to that area automatically. A friend of mine trained her boxer to go in a certain area, and to this day, he always goes to that area to pee/poo.
I agree with this. When you think about it, the instinct not to soil the den is a good thing - it's what allows us to successfully potty train our dogs so easily. Encouraging him to do his business in an area that he seems to consider his den is not going to help with housetraining in the long run.

As far as him being "irregular" - are you free feeding him? Or feeding him meals at set times? I strongly recommend the latter, if you aren't already doing that - obviously if the dog eats at set times, their whole digestive schedule will be more regular.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with this. When you think about it, the instinct not to soil the den is a good thing - it's what allows us to successfully potty train our dogs so easily. Encouraging him to do his business in an area that he seems to consider his den is not going to help with housetraining in the long run.

As far as him being "irregular" - are you free feeding him? Or feeding him meals at set times? I strongly recommend the latter, if you aren't already doing that - obviously if the dog eats at set times, their whole digestive schedule will be more regular.
He is fed at 5:30pm every night and every morning at 6:30am a variance of 20 minutes at the most. I havent ever been able to get him regular. hes been on that schedule from the day he came to us. Mabye he just doesnt want to go lol I havent been able to figure that one out yet. I might just dedicate an area for his buisness and work with that, he pees in the run so were good there but mabye i need a poop spot we can slowly move closer to the run eventually inside "maybe" lol/

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
He might never want to go in the same spot over and over, in the dog run or otherwise. Like I said, that's instinctive for many dogs, and you might find it's not worth trying to fight that instinct because having a dog that wants to keep his den clean is a good thing! You should see the number of threads on here about people whose dogs soil in their crates (often because they were from puppy mills and that's what they learned to do). I know that my own dog wants to get away from her waste, and also tends never to go in the same spot twice in a row (and we don't have a yard, so we always have to take her out in the neighborhood on a leash). In the grand scheme, this is not a big deal. If this is the worst "problem" you have, count yourself lucky!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He might never want to go in the same spot over and over, in the dog run or otherwise. Like I said, that's instinctive for many dogs, and you might find it's not worth trying to fight that instinct because having a dog that wants to keep his den clean is a good thing! You should see the number of threads on here about people whose dogs soil in their crates (often because they were from puppy mills and that's what they learned to do). I know that my own dog wants to get away from her waste, and also tends never to go in the same spot twice in a row (and we don't have a yard, so we always have to take her out in the neighborhood on a leash). In the grand scheme, this is not a big deal. If this is the worst "problem" you have, count yourself lucky!

I completely agree that we have been super lucky with him and he is all around very smart and easily trained and I guess if it comes down to needing to go all over its not a huge issue as i clean up regularly now. I was just looking for advice and I appreciate all of the great advice I have gotten so far. thanks eveyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts