Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

You won't believe this - but hubby and I have adopted another stray; another mini foxie cross even! He looks scarily like my little man, but a fair few years older - probably about 6 years the vet said.

The first night he spent with us was quite scary for a number of reasons - firstly they are both boys and while our lil man is desexed, the stray isn't and liked to try and molest my baby. Secondly the lil stray wheezes - like my uncle did when he had emphsema & his eye was all gunky (great medical term there).

We went to the vet first thing the next morning, and the vet has diagnoised him with a heart murmur and two tumors in his right eyelid which are causing chronic conjuntivitsis. The tumors can be easily removed while he is being desexed, but I am (and the vet is too) concerned about him going under a general to be desexed. Has anyone here had a pup with a heart murmur and were you still able to have him desexed?

We are going to wait another week to see if anyone claims him but both the RSPCA and the local pound have said that especially in his condition (he has spent at least 2-3 weeks roaming the streets according to locals) and his medical condition, that he has most likley been dumped and not to hold out on finding his owners. The RSPCA also said that they would find it difficult to find him a home :(

So I think he will be staying with us for the time being - maybe here on in, but we are certainly going to need a bigger house :eek:

Thanks

<3 Megs

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy has a slight murmur, kidney insufficiency AND she had a wart on her eyelid. Definitely not a terrier mix though. Last year the wart was rubbing her eye and had to go. That is when the other problems were noted. She came through the surgery fine and the wart hasn't come back. She had the kidneys supported with extra fluids, don't know what would help with the heart problem. She pants a lot during walks now but that is the extent the murmur is showing up if that is even the cause of the loud panting. Sounds like your little rascal is in worse shape. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The biggest thing with that surgery is that they can do with Valium, Ketamin and a local instead of a general like Iso. Definately Stay away from acepromazine! You can read why here; http://www.dogforums.com/13-dog-health-questions/8219-sensitivity-anesthesia.html

Iso is far safer for any dog IF it's necessary to for a general. If you do need to do a general the dog will need close monitoring.

BTW, the new dog may be trying to play, often getting excited will result in humping, it has nothing to do with sex drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :) I am going to pop in and see another vet today - I wasn't overly impressed with the vet we saw the other day :s and I will ask them about the general and what we can do to avoid it.

Megs

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Let me see what I can do to help you find a vet, what part of Queensland are you in? I may have a few contacts down there from another forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts