Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thought this might be something to put in as a sticky....when people go looking for that registered dog, they can be more informed as to what registries are legit and which are thru puppymills.....can we make it so that anyone that knows of any others can put them in as needed, in case i forgot a few (which i'm sure i did)?

Continental registries (real)
AKC.....American Kennel Club
UKC.....United Kennel Club
CKC.....Canadian Kennel Club

there are also breed registries such as:
AADR.....All American Dog Registry
ABCA.....American Border Collie Association
ACDCA.....American Cattle Dog Club of America
ADBA.....American Dog Breeders Association
AIBC.....American International Border Collie Association
APBR.....American Pit Bull Registry (can be questionable)
ARBA.....American Rare Breed Association
ARHA.....American Rabbit Hound Association
ASCA.....Australian Shepherd Club of America
ISDS.....International Sheep Dog Society
JRTCA.....Jack Russell Terrier Club of America
NASDS.....North American Sheep Dog Society

Bogus Registries
AAPBA.....All American Premier Breeds Assoc. (All American Pit Bull)
ACA.....American Canine Association
ANDR.....American National Dog Registry
APRI....American Pet Registry, Inc (also, American Purebred Registry; no "I")
APBR.....American Pit Bull Registry
ARU.....Animal Registry Unlimited
CKC.....Continental Kennel Club (do not confuse w/ Canadian Kennel Club)
CRCS.....Canine Regisration and Certification Services
DRA.....Dog Registry of America
FIC.....Federation of International Canines
NAMBR...North American Mixed Breed Registry
NAPDR.....North American Purebred Dog Registry
NKC.....National Kennel Club
UABR.....United All Breed Registry
UKCI.....Universal Kennel Club International
WWKC.....World Wide Kennel Club

Questionable registries:
BFK/BFKC.....Bonafide Kennel Club
IABCA.....International All Breed Canine Association of America
SDR.....Sporting Dog Registry
these are just a few....they keep cropping up so it's hard to keep up

when importing from other countries, check out this site for registries of that country.....your pup/dog should be registered thru one of these in their country....
http://www.akc.org/rules/special_reg...ces.cfm?page=5

·
Registered
707 Posts
thought this might be something to put in as a sticky....when people go looking for that registered dog, they can be more informed as to what registries are legit and which are thru puppymills.....can we make it so that anyone that knows of any others can put them in as needed, in case i forgot a few (which i'm sure i did)?

Continental registries (real)
AKC.....American Kennel Club
UKC.....United Kennel Club
CKC.....Canadian Kennel Club

there are also registries such as:
ABCA.....American Border Collie Association
ISDS.....International Sheep Dog Society
NASDS.....North American Sheep Dog Society
AIBC.....American International Border Collie Association
APBT.....American Pit Bull Terrier

Bogus Registries
APRI....American Pet Registry, Inc (also, American Purebred Registry; no "I")
ACA.....American Canine Association
CKC.....Continental Kennel Club (do not confuse w/ Canadian Kennel Club)
NAMBR...North American Mixed Breed Registry
UKCI.....Universal Kennel Club International
NAPDR.....North American Purebred Dog Registry
ADBA.....American Dog Breeders Association
WWKC.....World Wide Kennel Club
these are just a few....they keep cropping up so it's hard to keep up
Do you care if I steal this to share with another dog group? Thanks for posting. :)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually I think that you got 2 of them mixed up...
ADBA is a MUCH better registry than APBR[APBT] - (APBT will register any "pitbull" looking dog) ADBA registers UKC, AKC...etc.http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fpid=5

Here's the APBR
http://www.pitbullregistry.com/
the site that i looked at was classifying ADBA as a puppymill registry, so that is what i went by....i wasn't sure on the APBT but if you think i should i can remove that one and change as needed....

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
ADBA is much better, they have shows and don't take dogs without pedigree's etc like APBR does...
They are the big ones with the weight pulling, etc... at least for the APBT, I'm not sure how great they are for other breeds but I see a LOT of APBT's that are dual registered with ADBA and UKC/AKC...which doesn't mean anything but they do hold a lot of shows and do have standards.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok, i'll go make those entries and the change (thanx on the info for Pit, i def am not up on the breed real strong , other than i think they're awesome....)

moderator(s), any way that we can make this an open post that anyone who knows of more can enter them in?

wabana, would that be ASCA?

AC, should i put APBT (i changed it to APBR) under the "bogus", then?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't know if it qualifies as being bogus per say since I don't deal with them...but I know their registration process is pretty lenient.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I don't know if it qualifies as being bogus per say since I don't deal with them...but I know their registration process is pretty lenient.
I haven't had dealings with them either - but I'd probably be more inclined to but them under the 'bogus' category. Especially if they aren't verifying that their dogs actually are APBTs. With all the look alike and poor breeding that exists these days - registries need to be doubly careful. That means paying more attention then just checking if the dogs they register have a blocky head and muscles.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i went ahead and put it under the "bogus" as it might be something they want to consider in registering a Pit....i can move it again if need be.....or, maybe leave it under both?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Works for me, I do like their website and health, rescue, etc information...but the registration gets to me. :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
In Canada you can not advertise a dog as purebred unless it is registered with the Canadian Kennel Club. Just recently my sister went to look at a CKC registered Chihuahua and it turned out to be Continental Kennel Club, I don't know if the dogs registered there are even purebred.

·
Banned
572 Posts
That is a GREAT list!!! Thanks for posting it - I was actually trying to find a list of the "bogus" paper registry types recently ...

Ok, just wanted to add one for legit breed club registries - ARHA (American Rabbit Hound Association). They're mainly for Beagles but do register Bassets, Harriers, etc. They are an open registry, so you do have to be careful when purchasing an ARHA hound. But they are a great registry with good trials that represent true to life hunting situations moreso than any other registry, IMHO.

Also, for bogus paper registries, I don't think I saw UABR (United All Breed Registry). It's one that I see growing in popularity lately ...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts