Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so sorry to be asking another question, it's just been a long time since having a new dog and this one seems to be presenting with issues I haven't dealt with before.
I've had her for about a month and up until recently she has been doing very well with leash walking, especially considering she probably was not a leash-walked dog previously. However, recently she has refused to go out, or will get out the door and turn to go back immediately- not even going to the bathroom while she is in a grassy spot. I try to let her pick the direction we go and to entice her with a calm voice, no luck. I've also tried walking her separately from my other dog thinking their could be some issues there, but she still refuses to go. Sometimes she'll decide she wants to walk and will actually go out, sometimes for a decent amount of time, and go to the bathroom- usually several times, but that's a very rare occurrence.
Besides causing me worry, it hasn't caused much of a problem as she typically waits until she wants to go out to go to the bathroom. However, today she has gone in the house twice, both times while I was present- so it's not like I left her alone and it was a nervous reaction. Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
894 Posts
my neighbour used to have a problem like that with his young dog. how old is your dog? where you got her from?
maybe she does not want to leave the house? any bad experiences on walks? is she nerveous outside? scared of certain things?
my neighbour started driving her to places and then walk. he did that for about 2 weeks, then started from the house again. worked great. not sure if its great advice, but it helped.
sure other people can give you more input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you thought about taking her to the vet? Perhaps she has something wrong with her at the moment which is causing her abnormal behaviour?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's been to the vet 3 times in the month I've had her and been thoroughly checked over, so I don't think it is a health related concern. She also will walk when the mood strikes her, which is leading me to believe it's not an injury. Though she will be returning to the vet in the next few weeks for a Lyme booster shot, so I will definitely be sure to ask them then if the problem persists.
She is not a puppy, though it is thought that she has never lived in a house/as a "pet" type dog before, so much of her situation currently is very new to her. She is about 5-6 years old.
I think some type of anxiety might be part of the problem. She does get very scared of certain loud noises like thunder, loud trucks, garbage disposal, and we live near a playground and hearing kids yelling there has scared her as well. So now we typically avoid that area. So it is a possibility that anxiety is part of the problem. The past few days she has walked when it was dark out with no problems, which adds to my suspicion that anxiety has something to do with this battle. So any tips on dealing with that would be great!

·
Registered
894 Posts
my young lab is like this too. not that she refuses to walk, but she is scared of trucks, loud noises, ... . i bought a thunder shirt. i only walk her with the shirt now. got a looot better. its worth a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts