Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

I just came back from a convention. I had my 2 dogs boarded at a local place (which was a FABULOUS experience for them!)... when they came back, a few hours later, we were all in the kitchen and my female husky jumped on my male mix and scared him to death. I can't quite call it a fight because I could see that she wasn't biting him, but she jumped, tumbled with him and scared him so he was screaming and scared for about 5 seconds before I could get them apart (YES I know how to do that). Her tail was up, and his was down. His ears were back, hers were up.

Question: My trainer says this was my husky not wanting to attack my mix, but feeling the need to reassert her dominance back in the household now that they were home. Anyone agree with this? She's done this before, 2/3 times... and it's ONLY when they come home from playing with other dogs. It's always the same scenario. Trainer says to just break them up and it should be over with.

Next thing -

Afterward, what's the correct way to deal with it once I HAVE broken them up? My mix walks over to me, cowering with his ears back and tail between his legs scared to death of her and looks at me for an 'it's okay' and for me to comfort him.

The only thing I do with my husky is grab her neck with both hands and stare at her for 30 seconds. Maybe it's silly but I guess it's my way of saying "you're not in charge - I am".. it's probably wrong.

SO husky starts it. Mix gets terrified. I break it up. What's my response to the husky? What's my response to the mix? I always hold on to their collars after a few minutes and reintroduce them side by side until I know they're okay... and right when I do that, they seem like nothing ever happened.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Squabbles happen even among best friends. My approach is usually a sharp, "ENOUGH!" and they stop. Resist the urge to threaten the 'offender'....that can backfire making the fights intensify. It's usually a bad idea to give too much attention to these situations. Dogs often don't really care if they get good attention or 'bad' attention...so long as they get it but, do it on your terms not theirs.
But, back to the situation......if the Husky is trying to keep the mix out of the room or away from you or making up some other 'rule' you need to nip that in the bud. If, for example, the bickering was to to keep the mix out of the room, you take the room back....the Husky has to leave YOUR room....stake your claim....herd her out....show her that it's not hers to rule over. You don't need to threaten, yell or grab her collar...just make her back out of the room.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts