Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how long a dog is pregnant for.For example,if someone breeds a dog on like August 12,when would the puppies be expected to arrive? Thanks!:wave:

·
Registered
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the someone is me.I'm a first time breeder with my two year old havanese whom is all health tested and everything.We do have a mentor(the stud's owner) She has been breeding for many years. I was trying to get an exact day(s) that she would be expecting.Some people say its 35 days and others say 86 so thank you for replying! I'll make sure to look at that info.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
It sounds like you have some knowledge, then. Which health tests did you have done? I'm not familiar with which ones Havanese need. Does your mentor show her dogs?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If anyone is saying 35 OR 86 they need a basic biology lesson, and basic Googling skills. Dogs and cats are pregnant for roughly 9 weeks.

I sure hope your mentor knows exactly how long a dog pregnancy lasts.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
And if you actually DO have a mentor, why don't they know about how long a pregnancy lasts?
I was thinking the same thing. If you can't ask your mentor such a basic question instead of going on a forum, then clearly you either don't have one or your "mentor" is just as ignorant as you are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,she does show her dogs,health test and belong to a national breeders club.My mentor does know how long the pregnancy lasts,it just I wanted to verify the information. We are NOT BYB's and do care about our puppies and their health.I do not sell for the money and the puppies will go to carefully picked homes.I promise you that the puppies WILL NOT end up in your rescue or any shelter. Our dog has had health testing on her eyes,knees,hips,and elbows which cause the most problems in the breed and any other needed health testing will be done.Our dog fits the breed standard and is up to date on all her shots.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Not trying to attack. If what you're saying is true than this sounds like a breeding I'd support (full health testing and titling be it conformation or another legitimate venue). I know you say that your mentor knows how long a pregnancy asks but are you asking here because you don't trust this person? And, if so, why breed your dog to a dog that belongs to somebody that you don't trust? I'm sure you have a vet, have you asked them and they've given you different information?

There's nothing wrong with approaching an internet forum, that's not the point I"m trying to make here, I just think there are better outlets to approach and I am simply curious as to why your mentor's word isn't enough and why you're asking a forum (of a slew of random individuals).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind with breeding is you're risking the life of your female with each litter. Pregnancy is dangerous and does take the lives of moms and babies of all species. Be 100% sure its a risk you're willing to take before allowing your girl to be bred.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not that I don't trust my mentor,because I do.Its just that I wanted to see if the pregnancy varied because my mentor said that with smaller dogs,the pregnancy is faster and can be only 2 months.I have asked my vet and she said about 2 - 3 months for that breed so I just wanted to see if it varied with other people on here.I would hope most of the people that have commented on here know about dog pregnancy but I could be wrong. This was just a little trial I guess to see what others would say and I do understand there are other websites to go to but I just thought this would be a nice one to ask a question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do understand the risks of breeding and I hope our vet can futher explain any other complications that might come about during the pregnancy but I do hope everything will go smoothly as this is going to be her first litter but thank you for reminding me.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Dog pregnancy is the same no matter the breed (approx 9 weeks). Small breeds can be more prone to premature labor if the pups are large or if the litter is larger than normal. Please make sure you have a savings account with the money for an emergency C-Section put back, this breed is prone to needing them (as are all Brachy breeds).

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
A brachycephalic skull is relatively broad and short (typically with the breadth at least 80% of the length). It's not about the length of the nose, it's the length x width of the scull.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
63 days, give or take a few days. As it gets closer begin taking her temp rectally every day. When it drops she should begin labor. Be sure you know what to watch for during delivery and soon after as trouble delivering or a retained pup can cause death.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Its not that I don't trust my mentor,because I do.Its just that I wanted to see if the pregnancy varied because my mentor said that with smaller dogs,the pregnancy is faster and can be only 2 months.I have asked my vet and she said about 2 - 3 months for that breed .
If I had a vet who thought it was normal for a dog to be preggers for three months, I'd get myself another vet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts