Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I hear mention of them from a few rescues, but never seen/heard of any dog pounds around? And can you rehome from them? I suppose they might not assess dogs, just curious as I assume they still exist!! I did google but came up with nothing:lie:

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hi
I hear mention of them from a few rescues, but never seen/heard of any dog pounds around? And can you rehome from them? I suppose they might not assess dogs, just curious as I assume they still exist!! I did google but came up with nothing:lie:
They're more called "shelters" or "city/county animal shelter" and are basically the taxpayer funded, public animal shelter where animals that are picked up as strays by Animal Control, surrended by their owners or siezed for criminal neglect end up. Yes, dogs (and cats etc) can be adopted from them. Some shelters are better at promoting adoptions than other shelters. A lot of rescues will "pull" dogs and cats from the municipal shelters and put them into foster homes to keep them safe while trying to find an adoptive home. Sometime private shelters (non-profits like the local humane societies) will also take animals from the city shelters.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Here its called rabies control, not all dogs can be pulled or adopted. The ones that can have a three day hold, and are often euthanized after their three days are up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have a dog pound, I pass it all the time while hiking down a path that goes into the woods. That's where dogs go who are picked up by Animal Control with no owner present or identifiable...also dogs who are in a car with someone who is arrested. Ours works with shelters/local humane socieities to rehome dogs who are not claimed, they don't do assessments and adoptions themselves. It's just a holding center for dogs with nowhere to go at any particular time.

Now, our older dog came from the pound...she'd ended up there several times, went through several shelters, got "homed" several times, bit people or other dogs and got picked up again. She lived with the AC for a while. She's very pretty and a smart dog and no one wanted to euthanize her, yet no one wanted to live with her either. Friend of the AC brought her to my husband and said, "Here's a dog for you", as a last ditch effort..no adoption paperwork necessary ;). We've had her for 12 years now. AC still checks in on her.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
We have dog pounds and they only hold the dogs a short while after the 3 day hold looking for the owners. They are listed by the county. I found Abbylynn that way by Googling Columbiana County Animal Shelter. I searched many shelters and rescues within the state of Ohio. We have many different ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts