Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two dogs, one a nine month old male Cocker Spaniel and the other is a two year old male Shih-Tzu. Both un-neutered for now.

Anyway, the Cocker Spaniel is always having his toys, food, sleeping spaces, and even attention stolen by the Shih-Tzu and recently I've realized that the Cocker Spaniel is VERY possessive of his toys and other items, to a point that he'll attack (without drawing blood) if you try to take them for any reason.

I'm wondering if the Shih-Tzu's stealing could be part of the reason as to why he's possessive, if neutering will help (we're having the procedure done soon anyway), and what's the best way to break him of this behavior.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Training will help.

Eddee was like this. I just adopted him three months ago. The first time I took a toy from him ... not thinking ... he bit me!

Your guy could just naturally be possessive IMO. I do not believe neutering will do anything in the possessive department. :) Neutering is good for unwanted litters of puppies.

Play the trade game.:) When he has a toy ... trade it for a yummy treat. Soon he will learn that there is no need to be possessive.

I sat down on the floor with Eddee and traded toys with him in 10 minute training sessions for one entire day. I used tiny little pieces of cut up hot dog. He will now gladly allow me near his "Prizes" as I call them.

It only took one day for Eddee to accept this. Not every dog will learn in the same time frame. Have patience.

I did get bit the second time because I forgot which dog I was dealing with and tried to move his bone to a different location! I also got bit the third time from trying to remove a kleenex from him underneath the bed! Duh! :/

I am however still working on his "Prizes" from the kleenex boxes and old lottery tickets that my Dad forgets to throw away! Lol! :D He no longer bites me ... but clenches his jaws as tightly as he can so I cannot have the prize. I make him follow me to the kitchen and trade for a treat. I probably have a spoiled little monster now ... actually. Lol!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts