Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blackie likes to get his butt as close to objects (fences, light posts, fire hydrants, street signs, etc) to where the poop rolls down it. I have tried slowly pulling him off the object but he just backs up to it.
The stool rolls down it because his stool is soft and sticky. They also stink bad. I got the dog (4 weeks ago) not knowing what he ate before, so I think I have been giving him a new kind of food. I am in the process of slowly changing his food from Purina Puppy Chow to Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal natural dog food. It's been about 4 days now and I am giving half Nutro and half Purina. The only thing I have noticed, so far is his, stools are bigger. The smell has gone down a little.
I have been giving 2T of plain canned pumpkin mixed in the morning feeding which works alright. The first poop in the evening walk is firmer but the second poop of the walk is real soft.

I guess my question is, how long before I would see a difference in his stool when he gets on the new food completely? That is to say that if there would be a difference.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Blackie likes to get his butt as close to objects (fences, light posts, fire hydrants, street signs, etc) to where the poop rolls down it. I have tried slowly pulling him off the object but he just backs up to it.
The stool rolls down it because his stool is soft and sticky. They also stink bad. I got the dog (4 weeks ago) not knowing what he ate before, so I think I have been giving him a new kind of food. I am in the process of slowly changing his food from Purina Puppy Chow to Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal natural dog food. It's been about 4 days now and I am giving half Nutro and half Purina. The only thing I have noticed, so far is his, stools are bigger. The smell has gone down a little.
I have been giving 2T of plain canned pumpkin mixed in the morning feeding which works alright. The first poop in the evening walk is firmer but the second poop of the walk is real soft.

I guess my question is, how long before I would see a difference in his stool when he gets on the new food completely? That is to say that if there would be a difference.

Thanks
Ken
I have a dog who does that sometimes too, no food change is going to change the behavior.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Has he been de-wormed and checked for things like giardia? A probiotic might help, too.

My grandpa's dog always backed up to trees to poop. Silly dogs!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I thought Kabota was the only dog who did that!

I'd wait until you're entirely on the new food for 2 weeks to see if it's the food, but in the meantime, you can give him more pumpkin if it's helping. 1-2 TBSP every 6 hours is fine from all that I've read, and Kabota had no trouble at all with that amount of pumpkin. Actually, he loves pumpkin so much, I just give it to him every day as a treat. (I'm growing pumpkins this year, and let me tell you, 6 pumpkins ripe all at once is a whole freezer full of pumpkin. I have to do something with it.)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
When I have to change Bella's food it can take up to three months before I can tell exactly how she is going to do on it. Sometimes longer. I agree with probiotic & more pumpkin.

Pooping right up against objects is one annoying poop habit Bella thankfully does not have (until now I'm sure lol).

·
Registered
468 Posts

Thanks
Ken
Have you considered a grain free food then? Because food with lots of grains is going to make big poops. Also, nutro has menadione in it, which is harmful and can cause liver toxicity. I would suggest a different brand than nutro and something without the menadione.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies! I will keep using the pumpkin for a while and then stop for a few days to see how he's pooping.

He had whipworm and took medicine that cleared that up. No other worms were found in 2 fecal samples. I am not sure of the giardia.

I have read so much about dog food these last 4 weeks my eyes are bugging out. I have thought about grain free, but have read dogs have a hard time going back to other foods after being on grain free. Whether that's true I don't know. I have read corn based food causes gas because dogs can't digest it properly. I also read they can digest it fine because it's cooked. He has had gas (I finally have someone to blame :p) so I guessed it was the Puppy Chow. I don't know. I just picked a food that main ingredient wasn't corn. Thankfully this dog will eat anything. My dog I had when I was a kid would only eat Kibbles and Bits and nothing else. She lived to be 17 with no health problems (until the end) or gas. I guess Blackie and I will wait and see

Again, thanks everyone for the replies.
Ken

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would really consider switching anyways, the menadione in the nutro is just too bad to over look.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My parents' dog poops with one leg in the air like he's peeing. I always thought that was the weirdest, but this backing-up-to-objects has it beat! Ha!

·
Registered
703 Posts
HA! My Bob does both. It's so funny.

He can balance a poo on top of the tiniest plant with one leg in the air. I want to snap a photo of it, but that also seems too weird, even for me.

My parents' dog poops with one leg in the air like he's peeing. I always thought that was the weirdest, but this backing-up-to-objects has it beat! Ha!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I have read so much about dog food these last 4 weeks my eyes are bugging out. I have thought about grain free, but have read dogs have a hard time going back to other foods after being on grain free. Whether that's true I don't know. I have read corn based food causes gas because dogs can't digest it properly. I also read they can digest it fine because it's cooked. He has had gas (I finally have someone to blame :p) so I guessed it was the Puppy Chow. I don't know. I just picked a food that main ingredient wasn't corn. Thankfully this dog will eat anything. My dog I had when I was a kid would only eat Kibbles and Bits and nothing else. She lived to be 17 with no health problems (until the end) or gas. I guess Blackie and I will wait and see

Again, thanks everyone for the replies.
Ken
Some dogs may get gas from having corn; all dogs are different. One thing that is nice about a quality grainfree food is that your dog will no doubt end up eating less food and may have less stool. Not all grain frees are alike. It depends on what your dog needs. Some are high protein, some moderate. Some are low carb, some moderate to high. If your dog needs to lose weight, he'd do better on a low carb food. If he's fine weight wise, it won't matter

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My late lab, Chipper, used to back up to bushes and trees to poo, too. He also liked his privacy when pooing, and he'd go behind a tree or bush to do his business!

If you switched to grain free, why would you worry about "switching back" to something else? There are plenty of grain free kibbles on the market to rotate between, if that's your concern. Your dog may be sensitive to the grains in the Nutro, causing the loose poo. I agree to continue the pumpkin, if it helps. You could also try giving your dog a daily probiotic.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My late lab, Chipper, used to back up to bushes and trees to poo, too. He also liked his privacy when pooing, and he'd go behind a tree or bush to do his business!

If you switched to grain free, why would you worry about "switching back" to something else? There are plenty of grain free kibbles on the market to rotate between, if that's your concern. Your dog may be sensitive to the grains in the Nutro, causing the loose poo. I agree to continue the pumpkin, if it helps. You could also try giving your dog a daily probiotic.
Although the pumpkin doesn't really fix anything, it just helps the symptom.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm not sure I completely understand. Soft poop is usually smaller and wetter. If the larger poop is not as runny, I'd say that you're beginning to get progress. In general, the longer that it stays in his system, the more water is pulled out... so the first one out has been in longer and the second one went through his system faster, so would be softer. You want something that is well-formed and has no mucus covering.

Another thing that you may notice is that the size and number of pieces won't vary a great deal, if you feed the dog the same food, at the same time, and walk him at the same time. Consistency going in, results in consistency going out :) As Amaryllis suggested, things should be fairly regular after about 2 weeks on the regular food, which ever one you choose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts